This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
I am surprised by the lack of news coverage given to last Friday's emergency bypass event at Stericycle. For about 15 minutes, its medical waste incinerator spewed thick black smoke all over the Foxboro neighborhood.
This should concern everyone along the Wasatch Front because toxins released over Foxboro do not stay over Foxboro. At about the same time last Friday evening, stormy weather was blowing in from Great Salt Lake and people in my neighborhood, 30 miles from Great Salt Lake, smelled that pungent lake aroma.
Stericycle is about 10 miles closer than the lake. If we can all smell the lake, we could all be breathing what Stericycle releases. This presents a serious health concern for everyone, and people ought to be informed so they can protect themselves accordingly.
Ingrid GriffeeUtah Moms for Clean Air
Salt Lake City