1A football: Duchesne defense holds to defend title (with video)

Duch win their 47th consecutive game.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Ogden • Rich went for 2. Duchesne went for history.

Rich's McKay Jarman was stuffed on a 2-point conversion run with 2 minutes, 14 seconds to play, and Duchesne ran out the clock for a 14-13 victory Saturday in the Class 1A state championship game at Weber State.

Duchesene defensive linemen Collin Moon and Jesse Wickel tackled Jarman 1 yard short of the goal line on an option sweep to the right to extend the Eagles' state-record win streak to 47 games and secure the school's fourth consecutive state crown.

"I kind of read it out, and I scraped over and hit him," Moon said about Jarman's run. "Luckily he didn't pitch it on me."

It was the second time the Eagles (13-0) beat the Rebels (9-3) by a single point this season. Going for 2 instead of the tie was an easy decision for Rich coach Ashley Brown, who had called timeout to discuss the decision with his players.

"That's what the kids wanted to do," Brown said. "I asked them and let them decide what they wanted to do there. They said let's go for it. I thought we had a pretty good play called. We just didn't quite get in."

Duchesne coach Jerry Cowan said the decision didn't surprise him, but the play call sure did.

"You've got to go for 2 in that situation," he said. "I think they made the right call. We thought they were going to go the other way. They kind of outcoached us on that. We just had a couple of kids [who made] a game-saving tackle."

Duchesne scored two touchdowns in the first half — one on an 85-yard run by Matt Muir, the other on a Matt Dye 2-yard run after the Eagles recovered a Rebels fumble.

Rich fumbled seven times and lost two in the blustery conditions. But the Rebels kept their hands on the ball late in the first half for an 8-yard touchdown pass to Skyler Argyle.

In the second half, the Rebels gained 118 yards — all on the ground — as momentum began to swing. Duchesne was held to 61 yards after halftime and became the 10th team in history to win a state final without completing a pass.

Rich ate up 7:26 of clock on its final drive, capped by a Benjamin Groll 2-yard touchdown run. Then came the 2-point conversion attempt.

"All that was going through everyone's heads ­[was] 'Stop this play. Stop this play.'" said Dye, also a linebacker. "We went and stopped it."

A hard count on third-and-1 drew the Rebels offside and allowed Duchesne to run out the clock. —


O Duchesne wins its fourth consecutive state title with a defensive stop on a 2-point conversion with 2:14 left.

• Rich dominated the second half, but McKay Jarman was tackled 1 yard short of the goal line on the conversion attempt.