This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Lillehammer, Norway • Dominik Fischnaller posted the fastest time in both runs Sunday to win the World Cup luge season opener for his first victory on the circuit.
Fischnaller had a track-record time of 49.172 seconds in his opening run and was two one-thousandths of a second away from matching that time in his second heat. His overall time was 1 minute, 38.346 seconds 0.146 seconds ahead of Germany's David Moller (1:38.492).
Reigning world and Olympic champion Felix Loch of Germany (1:38.497) took third.
Chris Mazdzer of Saranac Lake, N.Y. was the top American finisher, placing 14th in 1:39.040.
The series resumes next weekend in Igls, Austria.
Fischnaller was seventh in the World Cup standings last season, winning a silver medal in Lake Placid and a bronze at Konigssee. But Sunday was a breakout performance for the Italian, and marked just the third time in the last 19 World Cup races that a German man did not finish in the top spot.
Armin Zoeggeler of Italy was fourth and was followed by a pair of Austrian sliders, Wolfgang Kindl and Daniel Pfister.
Aidan Kelly of West Islip, N.Y. (1:39.171) finished 21st for the Americans, after being eighth-fastest in the opening run of the day.
Other U.S. sliders in the field included Joe Mortensen of Huntington Station, N.Y. (1:39.621), Taylor Morris of South Jordan, Utah (1:39.683) and Tucker West of Ridgefield, Conn. (1:39.821), who placed 26th through 28th, respectively.
World Cup luge results
By The Associated Press
At Lillehammer, Norway
1. Dominik Fischnaller, Italy, 1:38.346 (49.172-49.174).
2. David Moller, Germany, 1:38.492 (49.243-49.249).
3. Felix Loch, Germany, 1:38.497 (49.260-49.237).
4. Armin Zoggeler, Italy, 1:38.583 (49.288-49.295).
5. Wolfgang Kindl, Austria, 1:38.688 (49.422-49.266).
6. Daniel Pfister, Austria, 1:38.764 (49.339-49.425).
7. Albert Demchenko, Russia, 1:38.773 (49.382-49.391).
8. Martins Rubenis, Latvia, 1:38.809 (49.400-49.409).
9. Manuel Pfister, Austria, 1:38.838 (49.426-49.412).
10. Alexandr Peretjagin, Russia, 1:38.865 (49.501-49.364).
14. Chris Mazdzer, United States, 1:39.040 (49.441-49.599).
21. Aidan Kelly, United States, 1:39.171 (49.419-49.752).
26. Joe Mortensen, United States, 1:39.621 (49.822-49.799).
27. Taylor Morris, United States, 1:39.683 (49.873-49.810).
28. Tucker West, United States, 1:39.821 (49.596-50.225).
World Cup Standings
(After one race)
1. Dominik Fischnaller, Italy, 100 points.
2. David Moller, Germany, 85.
3. Felix Loch, Germany, 70.
4. Armin Zoggeler, Italy, 60.
5. Wolfgang Kindl, Austria, 55.
6. Daniel Pfister, Austria, 50.
7. Albert Demchenko, Russia, 46.
8. Martins Rubenis, Latvia, 42.
9. Manuel Pfister, Austria, 39.
10. Alexandr Peretjagin, Russia, 36.
14. Chris Mazdzer, United States, 28.
21. Aidan Kelly, United States, 20.
26. Joe Mortensen, United States, 15.
27. Taylor Morris, United States, 14.
28. Tucker West, United States, 13.