Las Vegas • Cody Ohl took over first place in the tie-down roping world standings by claiming his third consecutive round win in a time of 7.3 seconds during round five on Monday at the National Finals Rodeo.
Six-time world champion Ohl, of Hico, Texas, leads the world standings with $148,879. He also leads his event with $53,936 in NFR earnings. This was Ohl's event-best 47th career win.
"I stubbed my toe in the second round, and I knew it was the right start and it just didn't work," Ohl said about having a time of 17.5 in round two after breaking the barrier. "I have taken that start three more times and won with it. I got the start figured out and I'm just going to keep coming with it."
Defending champion Tuf Cooper of Decatur, Texas, who didn't finish among the top six in round five, drops to second in the world standings with $142,075. He is seeking his third straight title.
In bareback riding, Bobby Mote of Culver, Ore., reclaimed first in the world standings with $153,982 in 2013 by tying for first in round five with an 87.5 on Power Play in a re-ride.
Mote, who is seeking his fifth gold buckle, tied with Casey Coletti of Pueblo, Colo., on Top Flight.
"I feel like I've been riding good and doing my job," Mote said. "I was fighting the flu the first three days. I've had that since about Thanksgiving. I finally felt good the last two days. It's nice to get a little momentum now."
Defending world champion Kaycee Feild of Spanish Fork, Utah, who took over first place from Mote in the world standings on Friday, dropped to second after tying for sixth with an 84.5 on Street Dance.
Feild, who is seeking a third consecutive world title, has earned $149,622 and is second in the aggregate standings with 415.5 points for five rides.
In steer wrestling, Hunter Cure of Holliday, Texas, finished first in 4.1. He is fourth in the world standings with $104,370.
Casey Martin of Sulphur, La., who didn't place among the top six in the fifth round in 5.8, remains first in the standings with $126,366.
Trevor Knowles, of Mount Vernon, Ore., stays second in the world standings with $120,158 after not finishing in the top six in 5.9 for the fourth round in a row.
In team roping, header Clay Tryan of Billings, Mont., and heeler Jade Corkill, of Fallon, Nev., finished second in 6.1 and lengthened their lead in the world standings. Tryan has earned $151,292 while Corkill has made $149,661 in 2013.
The second-place team in the standings consists of header Kaleb Driggers of Albany, Ga., with $127,981 and heeler Travis Graves of Jay, Okla., with $132,603. They placed fourth in 9.7 in round five.
Header Charly Crawford of Prineville, Ore., and heeler Ryan Motes of Weatherford, Texas, won round five in a time of 5.8.
In saddle bronc riding, Wade Sundell of Boxholm, Iowa, won the fifth round with an 87.5 on Lunatic Fringe and moved into third in the standings with $134,898. Sundell also was victorious in round three.
"I feel good and I feel it doesn't matter what they run underneath me at this point; I feel I can win on anything I draw," Sundell said. "Lunatic Fringe kicks so hard and is so flashy and showy and gives you the opportunity to do what you need to do to win. It's one of the greatest horses there is, and everybody loves to have a horse like that. I was so excited I threw my hat, and I'm still excited enough to throw it again."
Brothers Jake and Cody Wright, both of Milford, Utah, tied for second with 87.5 on Resistols Top Hat and Lunatic Party, respectively.
Two-time world champion Cody Wright hadn't placed among the top six for the previous three rounds, but he still owns a first-place total of $147,934 while Jake Wright is second with $138,275 in the standings.
In barrel racing, world standings leader Sherry Cervi of Marana, Ariz., who won the first two rounds, tied for third in 13.82 in round five and increased her first-place total in the world standings to $210,018.
Cervi also leads all NFR competitors with $62,600 in earnings here and is first in the aggregate standings with a time of 68.93for five rides.
Defending world champion Mary Walker of Ennis, Texas, is second in the world standings with $165,962 after placing second in 13.73.
Lisa Lockhart of Oelrichs, S.D., won the fifth round in 13.72 and is now second in the aggregate standings with a time of 69.64 for five rides.
In bull riding, three-time world bull riding champion J.W. Harris of Mullin, Texas, remained well ahead in the world standings lead with $182,667 after finishing third in round five with an 82.5 on King of Hearts.
Harris leads all bull riders with $52,284 in NFR earnings and is first in the aggregate standings with 345 points for four rides.
Five competitors had qualifying rides in the fifth round. The top two finishers were Trey Benton III of Rock Island, Texas., with a 90.5 on Gin and Juice and Tyler Smith of Fruita, Colo., with an 89.5 on Wish This.
In all-around, defending world champion Trevor Brazile of Decatur, Texas, who has won 10 of the last 11 world all-around titles, including the last eight in a row, and has a total of 18 gold buckles, maintained his big lead over runner-up Corkill during round four.
Brazile, who tied for second in tie-down roping in a time of 7.4 in the fifth round, has earned $293,950 in 2013 compared to $153,160 for Corkill. Brazile is now only $136 short of clinching an NFR-record 19th gold buckle.
National Rodeo Results
At Thomas & Mack Center
1. (tie) Bobby Mote, Stephenville, Texas, on Andrews Rodeo's PTSD Power Play, and Casey Colletti, Pueblo, Colo., on Pickett Pro Rodeo's Top Flight, 87.5 point, $16,677 each; 3. Wes Stevenson, Lubbock, Texas, 86.5, $11,118; 4. Caleb Bennett, Morgan, Utah, 86, $7,813; 5. Will Lowe, Canyon, Texas, 85, $4,808; 6. (tie) Kaycee Feild, Payson, Utah, and Steven Peebles, Redmond, Ore., 84.5, $1,502 each; 8. Austin Foss, Terrebonne, Ore., 82.5; 9. Ty Breuer, Mandan, N.D., 81.5; 10. J.R. Vezain, Cowley, Wyo., 80; 11. Jessy Davis, Power, Mont., 78; 12. Steven Dent, Mullen, Neb., 77; 13. Clint Cannon, Waller, Texas, 76.5; 14. Ryan Gray, Cheney, Wash., 73.5; 15. Jared Smith, Cross Plains, Texas, NS.
1. Hunter Cure, Holliday, Texas, 4.1 seconds, $18,630; 2. (tie) Jule Hazen, Ashland, Kan., and Luke Branquinho, Los Alamos, Calif., 4.2, $12,921 each; 4. (tie) Jason Miller, Lance Creek, Wyo., and Dean Gorsuch, Gering, Neb., 4.8, $6,310 each; 6. Wade Sumpter, Fowler, Colo., 4.9, $3,005; 7. Casey Martin, Sulphur, La., 5.8; 8. Trevor Knowles, Mount Vernon, Ore., 5.9; 9. Dakota Eldridge, Elko, Nev., 6.0; 10. Bray Armes, Ponder, Texas, 6.1; 11. Matt Reeves, Cross Plains, Texas, 6.2; 12. K.C. Jones, Decatur, Texas, 7.3; 13. Stan Branco, Chowchilla, Calif., 9.4; 14. Straws Milan, Cochrane, Alberta, 10.7; 15. Tyler Pearson, Louisville, Miss., 11.2.
1. Charly Crawford, Prineville, Ore./Ryan Motes, Weatherford, Texas, 5.8 seconds, $18,630; 2. Clay Tryan, Billings, Mont./Jade Corkill, Fallon, Nev., 6.1, $14,724; 3. Luke Brown, Stephenville, Texas/Kollin VonAhn, Blanchard, Okla., 7.3, $11,118; 4. Kaleb Driggers, Albany, Ga./Travis Graves, Jay, Okla., 9.7, $7,813; 5. Turtle Powell, Stephenville, Texas/Dugan Kelly, Paso Robles, Calif., 10.0, $4,808; 6. Drew Horner, Plano, Texas/Buddy Hawkins II, Columbus, Kan., 11.0, $3,005; 7. Trevor Brazile, Decatur, Texas/Patrick Smith, Lipan, Texas, 14.5; 8. (tie) Brandon Beers, Powell Butte, Ore./Jim Ross Cooper, Monument, N.M.; Erich Rogers, Round Rock, Ariz./Cory Petska, Marana, Ariz.; Riley Minor, Ellensburg, Wash./Brady Minor, Ellensburg, Wash.; Nick Sartain, Dover, Okla./Rich Skelton, Llano, Texas; Derrick Begay, Seba Dalkai, Ariz./Cesar de la Cruz, Tucson, Ariz.; Dustin Bird, Cut Bank, Mont./Paul Eaves, Lonedell, Mo.; Colby Lovell, Madisonville, Texas/Martin Lucero, Stephenville, Texas; and Justin Van Davis, Madisonville, Texas/Clay O'Brien Cooper, Gardnerville, Nev., NT.
Saddle bronc riding
1. Wade Sundell, Boxholm, Iowa, 87.5 points on Burch Rodeo's Lunatic Fringe, $18,630; 2. (tie) Cody Wright, Milford, Utah, and Jake Wright, Milford, Utah, 85.5, $12,921 each; 4. Heith DeMoss, Heflin, La., 84.5, $7,813; 5. (tie) Tyler Corrington, Hastings, Minn., and Bradley Harter, Weatherford, Texas, 83, $3,906 each; 7. Cort Scheer, Elsmere, Neb., 81.5; 8. (tie) Chad Ferley, Oelrichs, S.D., and Jacobs Crawley, Stephenville, Texas, 81; 10. Sterling Crawley, Stephenville, Texas, 79; 11. Isaac Diaz, Desdemona, Texas, 78.5; 12. Taos Muncy, Corona, N.M., 78; 13. (tie) Jesse Wright, Milford, Utah; Cole Elshere, Faith, S.D.; and Chet Johnson, Sheridan, Wyo., NS.
1. Cody Ohl, Hico, Texas, 7.3 seconds, $18,630; 2. (tie) Trevor Brazile, Decatur, Texas, and Clif Cooper, Decatur, Texas, 7.4, $12,921 each; 4. (tie) Timber Moore, Aubrey, Texas, and Stetson Vest, Childress, Texas, 7.7, $6,310 each; 6. Scott Kormos, Teague, Texas, 7.9, $3,005; 7. Shane Hanchey, Sulphur, La., 8.1; 8. Caleb Smidt, Bellville, Texas, 8.9; 9. Shane Slack, Idabel, Okla., 9.0; 10. Sterling Smith, Stephenville, Texas, 9.2; 11. Randall Carlisle, Baton Rouge, La., 10.6; 12. Ryan Jarrett, Comanche, Okla., 10.7; 13. Tuf Cooper, Decatur, Texas, 13.0; 14. Justin Maass, Giddings, Texas, 16.5; 15. Tyson Durfey, Colbert, Wash., NT.
1. Lisa Lockhart, Oelrichs, S.D., 13.72 seconds, $18,630; 2. Mary Walker, Ennis, Texas, 13.73, $14,724; 3. (tie) Sherry Cervi, Marana, Ariz.; Christy Loflin, Franktown, Colo.; and Taylor Jacob, Carmine, Texas, 13.82, $7,913 each; 6. Shada Brazile, Decatur, Texas, 13.93, $3,005; 7. Jean Winters, Texline, Texas, 13.99; 8. Kaley Bass, Kissimmee, Fla., 14.04; 9. Sydni Blanchard, Albuquerque, N.M., 14.11; 10. Brittany Pozzi, Victoria, Texas, 14.18; 11. Fallon Taylor, Whitesboro, Texas, 14.35; 12. Michele McLeod, Whitesboro, Texas, 18.77; 13. Sabrina Ketcham, Yeso, N.M., 18.98; 14. Trula Churchill, Valentine, Neb., 24.06; 15. Jane Melby, Burneyville, Okla., 24.08.
1. Trey Benton III, Rock Island, Texas, 90.5 points on Andrews Rodeo's Gin and Juice, $18,630; 2. Tyler Smith, Fruita, Colo., 89.5, $14,724; 3. J.W. Harris, Mullin, Texas, 82.5, $11,118; 4. Cody Campbell, Summerville, Ore., 79.0, $7,813; 5. Shane Proctor, Grand Coulee, Wash., 76.5, $4,808; 6. (tie) Trevor Kastner, Ardmore, Okla.; Chandler Bownds, Lubbock, Texas; Cody Teel, Kountze, Texas; Cole Echols, Elm Grove, La.; Elliot Jacoby, Fredricksburg, Texas; Josh Koschel, Nunn, Colo.; Parker Breding, Edgar, Mont.; Cooper Davis, Jasper, Texas; Steve Woolsey, Payson, Utah; and Tyler Willis, Wheatland, Wyo., NS.