Police shoot robbery suspect they say was firing AK-47

Man in serious condition; brother says he was on drugs, wanted attention
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2008, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Matthew Jaramillo's family feared the Brigham City man's drug use would land him a return trip to jail.

The 32-year-old instead ended up in an Ogden hospital Tuesday after being shot three times by Brigham City police.

Police shot Jaramillo at 12:26 a.m. after neighbors reported a man randomly firing shots into the air from a Romanian AK-47 at Brigham City Hall's East parking lot, said Brigham City Police Lt. Michael Nelsen.

Authorities yelled at Jaramillo to drop his gun when they arrived, but Jaramillo yelled back at officers and "continued to swing the gun in different locations," Nelsen said. A Box Elder County Sheriff's officer fired shots at Jaramillo when the man pointed his gun at another officer, he said.

At the time of the shooting, Jaramillo was wanted in connection with the Saturday armed robbery of a Brigham City check-cashing business called Money Bags. Police say he held a knife to a 27-year-old woman working behind the counter and bound her hands and legs before escaping with more than $5,000.

Tim Jaramillo said his brother was high on drugs and wanted police attention when he fired shots at City Hall. Matthew Jaramillo was incoherent when he called his brother's cell phone hours before the shooting, leading the family to believe he'd been using drugs.

Matthew Jaramillo also contacted Brigham City police several times after the robbery.

"He was contacting the police department yesterday saying "Just wait, I'm going to meet up with you and we're going to get this resolved," said Tim Jaramillo of Brigham City, 33, who complimented police on handling a difficult situation with his brother.

Jaramillo is in serious condition at McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden, where he underwent surgery for his wounds, Nelsen said.

Police believe Jaramillo fired eight rounds while in the parking lot, based on shell casings found at the scene, Nelsen said. The officer who fired shots at Jaramillo was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Court records show Jaramillo pleaded guilty to third degree felony theft charges in 1994.

Tim Jaramillo said his brother was depressed over a recent layoff from a construction job. He said Matthew got in trouble after graduating high school and despite family help, the father of three never seemed to make the right decisions.

"We knew something was going to happen. We didn't know it was going to go to this extreme."