This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Carlos Salcedo took to Twitter again late Saturday night. The 21-year-old Real Salt Lake defender, a main source of offseason intrigue after taking to social media to voice his discontent with the club and former general manager Garth Lagerwey in late November, wrote that he was happy to be part of Chivas. He added that he'd hoped to reach an official agreement to transfer from RSL to his hometown club in Guadalajara soon.
The post received upward of 1,200 retweets and nearly 1,500 favorites (and counting). With various reports out of Mexico essentially affirming the deal as done, RSL technical director Craig Waibel told the Tribune Monday morning otherwise.
"There is nothing close to being finalized," Waibel said. "All the articles are written by journalists [abroad] that are probably being told one version of the story."
A Christmas Day report from FOXDeportes.com stated that Chivas and RSL had agreed to a deal and that Salcedo would end up signing a 3-to-4-year deal with the Mexican soccer magnate. The report mentioned that numerous clubs are or were in on Salcedo, including Mexico's Cruz Azul, German club FC Koln and Dutch side FC Twente. According to the report, offers were submitted. Also reported was an offer from an unidentified European club, one that could maybe supersede that of the one from Chivas.
But Salcedo's tweet two days later steered the conversation back home.
Waibel confirmed Monday that RSL has been dealing with offers from one or more clubs regarding Salcedo.
"There have been multiple clubs, yes,," he said. "At the moment. I believe there are multiple clubs. There's ongoing things with more and more clubs interested as more articles get written. That's why one of the tricky spots in this whole thing is that there shouldn't be any concession on this we own Carlos, we own his rights and he's under contract with us."
As various reports continue to be filed regarding the potential move, Waibel said RSL remains in no hurry to sell the talented and versatile defender who appeared in 12 league matches in 2014. A finalized deal will only be finalized, he explained, when a club agrees to RSL's terms.
"I would say 'a finalized deal' would be done whenever an opposing club agrees to the price tag that we put on Carlos," he said. "That's when it'll get done, no sooner. We're not in the market of selling Carlos. There are clubs making offers, but we're not actively trying to sell Carlos. That mistake should not be made in any article.
"That's a testament to Carlos' improvement in our club. We're in negotiation with a couple different teams. With that same thought-process in mind, it's not a priority of ours to move him immediately. It's got to be the right deal."
So how, then, did it all come to this? Why did a young, skilled, adaptable defender decide he wanted out at the club that further fostered his development? Salcedo is an RSL Academy graduate and saw time in his first two years with the first team. However, his disgruntlement with Lagerwey and the supposed "verbal commitments" made to Salcedo and his father have not been expounded upon since the posting of his statement on Twitter on Nov. 24.
Waibel said he believes Salcedo holds no ill will toward RSL based on their ongoing conversations.
"To each to his own, right? I think that last year was a really good year for Carlos," he said. "There was a lot of improvement and there was a clear connection with his improvement with RSL and his participation with the Mexican U-21s. I think those links are obvious. I think improvement in Carlos' game was as clear as day in our environment and club. I've had great conversations with Carlos ever since I showed up. He and I have a great relationship. I just think sometimes an individual can make a choice and sometimes they can be affected by their environment, usually it's a combination of both things."
Disclaimer: The MLS league office remains closed until Monday, Jan. 5, so nothing official can occur league-wide for another week.