This is an archived article that was published on in 2015, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The Davis County attorney's office has one request for the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole in Stephanie Sloop's case: Never let her out of prison.

In a strongly worded letter sent earlier this week, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings asked the board to give a natural life sentence for the Layton woman who pleaded guilty in November to first-degree felony aggravated murder and second-degree felony obstruction of justice in the 2010 death of her 4-year-old son, Ethan Stacy.

"Ethan Stacy died because his mother, Stephanie Sloop, was fixated on herself," Rawlings wrote in the letter. "[She] cared about her own lifestyle. A lot. Tragically, Stephanie did not care much about the life of her young son."

The 31-year-old woman — along with her husband, Nathan Sloop — was accused of engaging in multiple acts of "severe abuse" between April 29 and May 8, 2010, that led to Ethan's death. While much of the physical abuse came from Nathan Sloop, prosecutors have said that Stephanie Sloop did not seek medical treatment for her son.

The child was abused, burned by scalding bath water, drugged and dehydrated before his death, according to Rawlings.

"Instead of getting young Ethan lifesaving medical treatment, Nathan and Stephanie married in an attempted to cover their tracks by a misguided interpretation of the spousal privilege," Rawlings wrote in the letter.

The Sloops were married May 6. Ethan died the next day, according to court records. Plea agreement documents say that after Stephanie Sloop was told by her husband that her child was dead, she "became hysterical" and took prescription medication and passed out until the next day.

On May 8, Nathan Sloop told his wife that they would need to bury the child and report him missing.

"Stephanie agreed to this plan," Rawlings wrote in his letter. "[She] went to the store, and purchased materials to remove and bury the body, including a shovel."

At a remote area near Powder Mountain Ski Resort in Weber County, Stephanie Sloop accompanied her husband as he carried Ethan's body up a trail, burned it and then used a hammer to disfigure the boy's face and teeth. The child then was buried in a shallow grave along with a broken hammer, lighter fluid and ammonia bottles, a burned glove, a shovel head, duct tape and Ethan's favorite sweatshirt, according to testimony at Nathan Sloop's 2013 preliminary hearing.

On Mother's Day — May 10, 2010 — the Sloops reported to police that Ethan was missing. After a frantic 12-hour search, police say the couple confessed to burying the child, and Nathan Sloop led officers to the child's body the next day.

"After Ethan was dead, the Sloops celebrated their own lives by dining at favorite restaurants," Rawlings wrote to the Board of Pardons. "For the remainder of her life, factual culpability and justice demand that Stephanie Sloop should only dine in the Utah State Prison."

After Stephanie Sloop pleaded guilty to charges in November, a judge immediately sentenced her to spend 20 years to life in prison for the murder charge and one to 15 years on the obstruction count. The sentences were ordered to run concurrently. Charges of second-degree felony inflicting serious injury on a child and third-degree felony abuse or desecration of a dead human body were dismissed as part of a plea deal.

"I am entirely responsible," Stephanie Sloop said between sobs during the November hearing. "Because I was his mommy."

Stephanie Sloop's attorney, Mary Corporon, did not respond to requests for comment this week. After the November sentencing, she told reporters that the resolution was "a fitting outcome to something that has hurt a great many people."

Nathan Sloop, 35, faced the same charges in the death of his stepson. He pleaded guilty but mentally ill in February to aggravated murder — a capital offense — while the remaining charges related to the boy's death were dismissed. He also pleaded guilty but mentally ill to second-degree felony aggravated assault by a prisoner for attacking a Davis County Jail officer.

A judge sentenced Nathan Sloop to 25 years to life in prison for the murder, and one to 15 years for the aggravated assault. The sentences were ordered to run concurrently.

"That boy died on my watch and I'm horribly sorry," Nathan Sloop told 2nd District Judge Glen Dawson before he was sentenced.

According to the Utah Board of Pardons officials, Nathan Sloop's first hearing in front of the board is scheduled for May 2055.

No hearing date has been set for Stephanie Sloop. Rawlings' letter is expected to remain in her file for reference at her hearing.

Rawlings said in his Tuesday letter to the pardons board that Stephanie Sloop's defense at trial would have been that she was abused herself and had called a therapist about possible anger issues concerning her new husband's actions toward her son.

Twitter: @jm_miller