This is an archived article that was published on in 2015, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 49-year-old Syracuse man — shot by police last week after he allegedly opened fire on officers responding to a domestic disturbance call — died over the weekend, police reported Monday.

Thomas G. Hamby had been in critical condition since the Jan. 8 shooting episode.

Syracuse Officer Erin Behm said Monday she had no other information, except that Hamby lived at the home where the shooting occurred.

Syracuse officers and Davis County sheriff's deputies responded to the home at 7 p.m. after a woman called claiming Hamby, her boyfriend, had pulled a handgun during an argument.

The girlfriend reported that Hamby "was acting strangely," according to a police news release from last week. At one point, he was standing at the top of the stairs holding "a long gun" and told her to leave, so she did and called 911, the release adds.

After officers arrived at the home near 3000 West and 2100 South and set up a perimeter, Hamby came out and fired at police, according to the release.

The responders fired back, striking Hamby, Behm said. One Syracuse police officer and two Davis County sheriff's deputies were involved, but none of them were hurt in the gunfire.

"Investigators did speak to eyewitnesses who confirmed that the suspect had a long gun and fired first at the officers," a news release from last week stated.

Police have not revealed what specific wounds the suspect suffered, or how many shots he and police fired.

Aside from a couple of traffic citations, Hamby's criminal record consists of one class B misdemeanor brought by the state Parks and Recreation Department in 2002 for failing to have life vests aboard his boat in Wasatch County, according to a search of Utah court records.

Also on Jan. 8, a Salt Lake City police officer shot and killed 42-year-old James Dudley Barker after Barker allegedly attacked him with a snow shovel.

Last year, Utah officers shot and killed 14 people, the highest number in at least five years. Seven other people were shot by law enforcement last year but survived.