This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2015, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
The BYU football player whose actions became the focal point of the brawl with Memphis players after the Miami Beach Bowl last December said he has called Memphis coach Justin Fuente and apologized for his role in the melee.
Junior safety Kai Nacua appeared in the interview room after the Cougars' second spring practice on Wednesday and said he was sorry for throwing some sucker punches at the back of a Memphis player's head after Nacua himself had been punched in the face, a punch that opened a gash under his eye.
"We are sorry for what happened," Nacua said. "It happened, and it was last year, and now we are just moving on to the next year."
Monday, BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall said around 10 players will be disciplined for their roles in the brawl, which was captured by ESPN television cameras and seriously tarnished what had been a thrilling, highly entertaining game, won 55-48 by Memphis in overtime. In January, Memphis officials said 12 players or members of the coaching staff would be disciplined.
Neither school has named the players or listed specific disciplinary measures. Mendenhall said the discipline for his "10-ish" players would be "mostly the same."
As for Nacua, who wore No. 12 in the bowl game, he did not say Wednesday what his punishment will be.
"I have contacted coach [Fuente], apologized to him, and we had a good talk," said the Las Vegas product. "It was just good. I apologized sincerely, and it was good."
Nacua said he has not talked to any Memphis players and has "no idea" whether the Tigers have tried to contact him or any BYU officials.
Asked what precipitated the brawl, Nacua decided he had said enough about the ugly incident on Dec. 22 at Marlins Park in Miami.
"I don't have much more to say about the brawl," he said. "Everybody saw what happened, so …."
Responding to a question from The Salt Lake Tribune about the fallout from the brawl on Monday, Mendenhall said he won't announce which players will be suspended from the opener against Nebraska, or any other games, until the week before the Sept. 5 game.
"We will try to maintain a competitive advantage as long as we can and protect the kids as much as we can.
I think everyone knows I thrive on accountability and don't back away from it, especially at BYU. So, I am comfortable with who we are discipling and how. We would just like to protect our players as much as we can also," he said.