This is an archived article that was published on in 2004, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Salt Lake City police arrested Mark Hacking this morning on suspicion of aggravated murder in connection with the disappearance of his wife, Lori Hacking.

Police chief Rick Dinse said evidence obtained over the last two weeks from Lori's car, the couple's apartment and in a trashcan less than a block away had implicated Mark Hacking "very early" in the investigation.

Lori Hacking, 27, was reported missing by her husband July 19 and her body has not been found, though police recovered her car at the mouth of City Creek Canyon, a popular jogging route. Shortly after, inconsistencies began to surface in Mark Hacking's version of events, including the fact that he had lied about his college education.

The police chief said Mark Hacking, 28, was taken into custody at about 11 a.m. today upon his release from a hospital psychiatric unit, where he has been treated for what family members said was a breakdown shortly after Lori Hacking's disappeared.

Hundreds of volunteers have spent days searching for any sign of Lori, scouring remote canyons and Salt Lake neighborhoods. On Saturday, Lori Hacking's family called off search efforts, saying they had new information from Mark Hacking that made the search "unnecessary."

Dinse said investigators believe Lori Hacking was slain inside the couple's apartment. But he refused to discuss details regarding a motive, a murder weapon or whether there were witnesses in the case.

Aggravated homicide potentially is a capital offense. Hacking is being held at the Salt Lake County jail, where he is on suicide watch, Dinse said.

Police had strong evidence Lori Hacking's body was somewhere in a Salt Lake County landfill, the chief said, and search efforts would resume there, with police redeploying cadaver dogs as soon as Wednesday.

Dinse called the ongoing landfill search "a terrible job to do" but that police were committed to continuing. Dinse said the case against Mark Hacking is strong enough to proceed even if a body is not recovered.