This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2015, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Utah got its 15th Mormon temple Sunday.
LDS leaders dedicated the edifice east of Interstate 15 in Payson in three separate services. Henry B. Eyring, first counselor of the church's governing First Presidency, presided over the first two sessions, with apostle Neil L. Andersen presiding over the third. Apostles Russell M. Nelson, Dallin H. Oaks and Quentin L. Cook also attended along with several other church leaders.
The new temple, located on a 10.6-acre parcel at 1494 S. 930 West, will serve more than 78,000 members from Mapleton to Delta.
Sunday's services followed a rain-delayed cultural celebration Saturday for Mormon youths that drew thousands to Brigham Young University's LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo.
The Payson Temple, announced by LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson in 2010, is the third in Utah County. A fourth will come when the Provo City Center Temple comes on line in the restored historic Provo Tabernacle, gutted by a devastating fire in December 2010.
The Beehive State will have 17 Mormon temples once the Cedar City structure is completed. A groundbreaking is set for August.
After they are dedicated, temples are open only to Latter-day Saints with "recommends," attesting to their adherence to certain Mormon beliefs and practices.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints see temples as houses of God, where they take part in their religion's highest ordinances, including eternal marriage.
Utah's LDS temples and dedication dates
St. George, 1877.
Salt Lake, 1893.
Ogden, 1972, rededicated 2014.
Jordan River (South Jordan), 1981.
Mount Timpanogos (American Fork), 1996.
Oquirrh Mountain (South Jordan), 2009.
Brigham City, 2012.
Payson, June 7, 2015.
Provo City Center (formerly the Provo Tabernacle), under construction.
Cedar City, announced.