This is an archived article that was published on in 2015, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A late Wednesday night standoff with an armed, purportedly suicidal Logan man ended with a firefight that left the suspect dead and two police officers on administrative leave pending a shooting review.

Logan Police Chief Gary Jensen said Thursday that the incident began as aN 8:25 p.m. welfare check on 53-year-old Roger Darrin Barker, who had texted relatives reportedly threatening to kill himself inside an upper-story apartment at 346 N. 200 East.

First District Court records show that earlier in the day, Barker's wife had filed for and received a temporary protective order against him, but details were labeled "private," and not available from the court. Police would not discuss that or other possible motives, due to the ongoing nature of the investigation.

Logan police officers made initial contact with the man by telephone, and learning he was armed, called in SWAT units from both Logan and the Cache County Sheriff's Office to cordon off the area, evacuate neighboring units and begin what would be several unsuccessful hours of negotiations.

The man became increasingly agitated throughout the night, threatening officers, and just before midnight he allegedly came to the door of his unit and opened fire on officers.

A Logan officer and a sheriff's deputy both shot back, and the man fell with at least two gunshot wounds. Paramedics rushed the man to Logan Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Jensen confirmed that both his officer and the deputy have been placed on leave pending the results of independent investigations by the neighboring Davis County Sheriff's Department and Davis County Attorney's Office.

The identity of the officers involved in the shooting were not initially released.

Police have shot nine people in Utah so far in 2015, seven of whom were fatally wounded.

Twitter: @remims