This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2015, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
State education managers on Thursday released a list of the lowest- and highest-performing Title 1 schools in Utah.
For the 2015-2016 school year, Utah has a total of 326 Title 1 schools, which receive supplemental federal funding to offset the challenges of low-income-student population.
Each year, the State Office of Education identifies three categories of Title 1 Schools: priority, focus and reward, based on test scores from SAGE, Utah's computerized year-end assessment system.
Priority schools represent the lowest-performing 5 percent of Utah's Title 1 schools. The next 10 percent of lowest-performing schools are identified as focus schools, as are any Title 1 high schools with a two-year average graduation rate below 60 percent.
Both priority and focus schools are eligible for federal school improvement grants.
This year's priority schools are:
• Canyons School District: Midvale Elementary
• Davis School District: Vae View Elementary
• Granite School District: Granger Elementary, South Kearns Elementary, West Lake Junior High and Woodrow Wilson Elementary.
• San Juan School District: Monument Valley High, Tse'bii'nidzisgai Elementary and Whitehorse High.
• Tooele School District: Wendover High School.
• Charter schools: Dual Immersion Academy, East Hollywood High, Entheos Academy - Magna, Mana Academy, Paradigm High School and Pinnacle Canyon Academy.
Focus schools are:
• Beaver School District: Milford Elementary.
• Canyons School District: Copperview Elementary.
• Davis School District: Crestview Elementary.
• Duchesne School District: Duchesne Elementary and Myton Elementary.
• Granite School District: Granite Peak Junior High, Hillsdale Elementary, James E Moss Elementary, Oquirrh Hills Elementary, Pioneer Elementary, Redwood Elementary and Stansbury Elementary.
• Iron School District: Cedar North Elementary.
• Kane School District: Big Water Elementary.
• Ogden School District: Bonneville Elementary, Dee Elementary, Hillcrest Elementary and Mound Fort Junior High.
• Piute School District: Piute High School.
• Salt Lake City School District: Bryant Middle School and Riley Elementary.
• Uintah School District: Eagle View Elementary.
• Weber School District: Lakeview Elementary.
• Charter Schools: American Preparatory Academy - Salem, Aristotle Academy, CS Lewis Academy, Gateway Preparatory Academy, Guadalupe School, Merit College Preparatory Academy, Pacific Heritage Academy, Rockwell Charter High School, Utah Connections Academy, Utah Virtual Academy and Valley Academy.
The State Office of Education also recognized 48 Title 1 reward schools for high levels of improvement and achievement on SAGE.
This year's reward schools are:
• Alpine School District: Central Elementary and Greenwood Elementary.
• Box Elder School District: North Park Elementary.
• Cache School District: Birch Creek Elementary, Canyon Elementary, Heritage Elementary and Millville Elementary.
• Carbon School District: Bruin Point Elementary.
• Davis School District: Antelope Elementary and Layton Elementary.
• Iron School District: Escalante Valley Elementary and Parowan Elementary.
• Juab School District: Mona Elementary.
• Logan School District: Woodruff Elementary and McMillan Elementary.
• North Sanpete School District: Fairview Elementary and Spring City Elementary.
• Ogden School District: Horace Mann Elementary.
• Park City School District: Parley's Park Elementary.
• Provo School District: Provo Peaks Elementary, Spring Creek Elementary, Sunset View Elementary and Timpanogos Elementary.
• San Juan School District: Monticello Elementary and Monticello High School.
• South Summit District: South Summit Elementary.
• Uintah School District: Ashley Elementary.
• Wasatch School District: Hurricane Elementary.
• Wayne School District: Loa Elementary.
• Charter Schools: Beehive Science and Technology Academy, Canyon Rim Academy, Edith Bowen Laboratory Elementary, Hawthorn Academy West Jordan, Itineris Early College High, North Star Academy, Salt Lake Arts Academy, Success SUU, Syracuse Arts Academy and Wasatch Peak Academy.