This is an archived article that was published on in 2005, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

HAYWARD, Wis. - A deer hunter testified Monday that he never fired at a man accused of going on a rampage and fatally shooting six people in the woods after a confrontation over trespassing.

Terry Willers, one of two hunters wounded in the shootings Nov. 21, testified he was the only one in his group who had a gun when they confronted Chai Soua Vang.

''Who shot first?'' Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager asked.

''Mr. Vang,'' said Willers, whose 27-year-old daughter was among those killed that day.

Willers testified on the second day of Vang's trial on six counts of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder. He faces mandatory life in prison if convicted in the shootings. Wisconsin does not have the death penalty.

Vang, 36, of St. Paul, Minn., an ethnic Hmong who came to the United States from a refugee camp in Thailand in 1980, says he acted in self-defense after someone shot at him.

Prosecutors disputed that, saying the other hunter wounded in the shooting, Lauren Hesebeck, fired a shot at Vang with Willers' gun, but only after Vang fired first.

Defense attorney Steve Kohn told the jury in opening statements that Willers was ''abrupt and antagonistic'' and Vang came under a vicious verbal attack from the other hunters, frightening him and making him feel under siege.

Willers told jurors Monday that the confrontation turned violent after Vang apologized for trespassing on their private land and the group threatened to report him to authorities.

Willers testified he found Vang in a tree stand, asked him to leave and then gave him directions to public property. Willers said he used a radio to call one of the property's owners, Robert Crotteau, at a nearby cabin.

Crotteau drove up with other hunters on two all-terrain vehicles and angrily accused Vang of trespassing, Willers said.

Crotteau hollered to Vang that the hunters would report him to authorities, Willers testified. Vang then started shooting, Willers said.