This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2015, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Ogden • Officials say a house fire that displaced an Ogden family of five on Christmas was caused by an exploding e-cigarette.
The Standard-Examiner reports that a man, woman and three children had made it outside the home when fire crews arrived Friday morning. No injuries were reported.
Ogden fire Deputy Chief Eric Bauman says officials determined that a man had been smoking an e-cigarette inside when the device exploded and ignited other materials in the home.
Another Ogden house fire that occurred that night and resulted in more than $100,000 in damage remains under investigation.
Firefighters arrived to the vacant home to find the basement and the first floor engulfed in flames. No one was injured.