This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Given the recent history of South Jordan's City Council, it was only fitting that the last meeting of the year before the new council took over this week would be a circuslike spectacle.

It also possibly ranked among the shortest council meetings ever in Utah.

A brief look back at this City Council includes meetings during which the panel censured one of its own for writing an op-ed piece in an area journal and banned another member from meetings because the group might discuss a project in which his uncle had bid.

In addition, Mayor David Alvord engaged in some Facebook messaging that resulted in one constituent claiming the South Jordan leader was harassing his 15-year-old daughter.

Yes, South Jordan seemed weird — even by Utah standards.

It was all a precursor for the year's final meeting and the last hurrah for three departing members.

It took place Dec. 22 and was dubbed an emergency meeting to decide a $30 million bond proposal for improvements around the fast-growing city.

Alvord opposed the plan, but it looked as though the majority would approve it.

That's when the session got bizarre.

Outgoing council member Mark Seethaler told his colleagues he was going to the bathroom and would be right back.

Seeing an opportunity, Alvord had a council ally propose tabling the bond issue, which was the only item on the agenda. It was a 2-2 tie, so the mayor got to vote to break the tie and set aside the measure. Next came a motion to adjourn. Again, a 2-2 tie broken by Alvord.

When Seethaler returned, Alvord and his council allies were walking out. The meeting was over.

After frenzied discussion between the offended council members and the city attorney, they voted to call another session. (The city attorney said the just-concluded meeting's notice would suffice for the new meeting, since the same issue was on the table.)

This time, council members had the votes to pass the bond.

Alvord came back, and the council went into a lengthy closed session. When they reappeared, they voted 4-0 to approve the bond, with one of the earlier "no" votes changing to a "yes" and the other one absent because he had to leave to fulfill family obligations.

Now, there is a new council with three fresh faces — and opportunities for more fun and games.

It's on sale, but not yet • While at the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control's wine store in Ogden recently, Charles Tabaracci noticed the Valley of the Moon Rosato di Sangiovese was marked down for clearance, with the normal price of $16.95 reduced to $9.16.

Since it was the last bottle on the shelf, Tabaracci decided to give it a try. But when the clerk rang it up at the cash register, it was $13.06

He showed the clerk and the store manager the sign showing the discounted price of $9.16 — to no avail.

Vickie Ashby, DABC spokeswoman, says it was the result of a computer glitch. The sign went up before the adjustment was made electronically.

Had he waited until after the first of the year, the right price would have come up at the register. But, alas, he would not have had the bottle for New Year's Eve.

Do the right thing • Kristle Jefcoat was driving home Saturday from work going westbound on Highway 201 at about 8 a.m., when a large piece of what looked like a ski rack flew off a dark, square-shaped SUV. The chunk struck her vehicle and forced her to drive over it.

She tried to catch up to the SUV but worried about the damage done to her car and didn't want to have a tire blow out.

Damage assessment later showed that it cracked the left side of her car, requiring significant repairs.

So if the SUV's driver, who now has a missing ski rack reads this, Jefcoat would like you to step up and help with the repairs, which she cannot afford on her own.

You can contact her through me, at my email address,

Government immunity? • Satl Lake City has an anti-idling ordinance. But the Utah Transit Authority apparently is above the law.

Lincoln Hobbs and his wife were on a morning walk last week, and while returning through a Federal Heights Mormon meetinghouse parking lot, they noticed a large UTA truck (UTA #13615) with two people inside, and the truck was idling away.

The occupants seemed in no hurry to go anywhere, but the engine was running fine.