This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Firefighters found human remains inside a Kanab shop Friday night after extinguishing a blaze there.

Dispatchers received a 911 call at 10:30 p.m. about a fire at 510 N. 100 West and were told there might be a person inside the shop, a news release from the Kanab Fire Department says. The structure was fully engulfed in flames and firefighters were unable to perform a search until the fire was out, according to the release.

The remains have been turned over to the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner for identification. Investigators believe they know the deceased's identity, but want to wait until the medical examiner can confirm it, said Kanab Fire Chief Joseph Decker.

The Kanab Fire Department, the Kanab Police Departments and the Utah Fire Marshal's Office are investigating the fire.

Sanitation, plumbing and excavation businesses are all listed at the address. Preliminary evidence suggests that the fire started with the shop's wood stove, which had been lit Friday afternoon, before spreading to the wall behind it, Decker said. The stove "had issues" in the past, he added.

Reporter Michael McFall contributed to this story.