This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Utah parolee was sentenced to prison Tuesday for up to five years in connection with new crimes he committed after disappearing from a Salt Lake City halfway house in January.

Thomas Samuel Burnham, 29, disappeared from the Fortitude Treatment Center on Jan. 28, after checking out to get medical treatment.

On Feb. 9, Burnham was driving a stolen car when he was pulled over in a traffic stop in Midvale by Unified Police, but he drove off after ramming the police vehicle, police have said.

Burnham was arrested a week later, after an American Fork police officer spotted a vehicle with its lights on and motor running near two utility trailers in an LDS Church parking lot, according to charging documents. As the officer investigated, Burnham emerged from behind one trailer and attempted to get into his vehicle and flee but gave up when he saw that the officer had drawn his gun, charges state.

Burnham admitted to taking camping equipment from the utility trailers, and to stealing the car from a nearby address, charges state.

Burnham on Tuesday pleaded guilty in 4th District Court to third-degree felony counts of theft and theft by receiving, as well as misdemeanor counts of attempted failure to stop at a police officer's command and possession of methamphetamine.

Judge Fred Howard on Tuesday sentenced Burnham to concurrent zero-to-five-year terms for the felonies, and up to a year in jail on each of the misdemeanors.

Burnham has a criminal history that includes theft by receiving stolen property, possession/manufacturing of burglary tools, failure to stop at the command of police, drug possession and retail theft.

He was paroled from the Utah State Prison on Sept. 8, 2015.

Burnham walked away from the same halfway house from which parolee Cory Lee Henderson had absconded before he shot and killed Unified Police Department Officer Doug Barney in January

And in a separate January incident, parolee Palm Samiuel Lautaimi, who was released after a misstep by parole officials, was shot and wounded in a confrontation with police.

In the wake of the walkaways, Gov. Gary Herbert in February announced a comprehensive review of Utah's probation and parole system and promised to fire any employees "derelict in their duties." The day of the governor's announcement, two top AP&P officials resigned.

Herbert said he also was initiating a full-scale review of the procedures in place at Fortitude Treatment Center.