This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Subway restaurant employee was behind bars and the Layton police officer whose drink he allegedly dosed with drugs was recovering at home Tuesday.

Tanis Lloyd Ukena, 18, was arrested Monday night and booked into the Davis County jail on suspicion of felony surreptitious administration of a poisonous substance. He was released Tuesday after posting $10,000 bail.

A probable cause statement alleges that Ukena, while working the drive-through window at 1142 E. State Route 193 during the lunch hour Monday, laced the sergeant's lemonade with both methamphetamine and THC, the psychoactive element in marijuana.

Police contend the act was captured on surveillance camera system provided by the restaurant to investigators. Detectives also are investigating whether the sergeant — in uniform and driving a police cruiser — was targeted because he is a lawman.

As he drove away, the sergeant — whose name was withheld — sipped the drink and noted that it tasted strange. He soon began suspecting he had been drugged; he experienced difficulty applying his car's brakes when he approached an intersection.

Alarmed, the sergeant drove to the Layton police headquarters for help. His symptoms worsened and he grew increasingly impaired, having difficulty communicating or understanding questions. An ambulance took him to Davis Hospital and Medical Center, where he was treated and later released to recover at home, police said.

When confronted by investigators, Ukena reportedly denied tainting the sergeant's drink. However, officers allege that video footage showed him taking an "unusual" amount of time in the drink's preparation, at one point walking away and then returning before completing the order.

Tests confirmed undisclosed amounts of two drugs in the sergeant's drink, a probable cause statement notes.

Twitter: @remims