This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Utah football receiver Cory Butler-Byrd entered a guilty plea in abeyance in Utah's Third District court on Monday afternoon for his class A misdemeanor charge stemming from damaging University of Utah police property last month.

The 21-year-old's criminal mischief charge will be dismissed pending no criminal offenses in the next year, proof of mental health counseling and a $1,691.50 restitution payment for the damage he caused.

Butler-Byrd was formally charged earlier this month after he was discovered by police on July 27 "preparing to throw a large white sign" at the police's patrol building on South Campus drive, according to the probable cause statement. He later told police he had broken a window in the building and jumped on top of a police car, damaging the roof and the rear windshield.

Butler-Byrd was in court on Monday afternoon with his attorney, Greg Skordas, to enter the plea in front of Judge Elizabeth Hruby-Mills. He has already submitted to a mental health evaluation and is seeing a counselor on Utah's campus. The court requires him to pay restitution in monthly installments over the next year.

The resolution opens the door for Butler-Byrd to possibly return to the Utes, who envisioned him as a starting slot receiver for the upcoming season. The Los Angeles native joined the team last year, playing cornerback, receiver and kick returner.

He was suspended before the start of fall camp in August but remains enrolled at Utah and on a football scholarship. Butler-Byrd has not been permitted near Utah's football facility since his suspension began, but was planning to meet with coaches after his court appearance.

Coach Kyle Whittingham said at Monday afternoon's practice that there was "no change in status" for Butler-Byrd's suspension.

The Utes have brought back players with legal trouble in the past; notably, senior cornerback Dominique Hatfield was suspended following an arrest last year for a robbery charge (later dismissed) and then a misdemeanor assault charge (entered a no contest plea in abeyance) but rejoined the team a week into the season.

Whittingham talked glowingly about Hatfield's turnaround — the senior was named a team captain on Saturday — and said he hoped that Butler-Byrd could find a similar resolution.

"We'll see. Every situation is different," he said. "That would be the ideal outcome, is to see him turn it around also and end up on a positive note."

If Butler-Byrd fails to meet the terms of his plea, he could face up to a year in jail for the incident. Twitter: @kylegoon