This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
• The Utah Symphony starts its new fall season with a program of Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. The program begins with Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks. Then pianist Jonathan Biss is guest soloist on Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1. Concluding the program is Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony. Thierry Fischer conducts. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• '70s/'80s pop-rock band Starship featuring Mickey Thomas performs tonight at the Sandy Amphitheater, 9400 S. 1300 East, Sandy, and Saturday to close out the "Summer Nights Under the Stars" series at Kenley Amphitheater, 403 N. Wasatch Blvd., Layton. Shows start at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets for the Sandy show, from $15 to $30, are available at Smith's Tix; tickets for the Layton show, from $19 to $39, are available at the Davis Arts website.
• The Avenues Street Fair happens Saturday on 6th Avenue, between I and N streets, Salt Lake City. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Free.
• Instrumental-metal band Polyphia performs Saturday at Billboard-Live!, 250 W. 1300 South, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 on the day of the show, at Smith's Tix or at 24Tix.
• Country singer-songwriter Will Hoge performs Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $18 in advance, $22 on the day of the show, at 24Tix or at Smith's Tix.
• Luis Coronel, a Tucson-born singer of regional Mexican music, performs Sunday at the Utah State Fair, on the Grandstand of the Utah State Fairpark, 1000 W. North Temple, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets (which include fair admission) are $25 in advance, $30 on the day of the show, at Smith's Tix.