This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Onetime University of Utah quarterback Brandon Jones has died from extensive injuries he suffered in a Monday bicycling accident.

Jones suffered broken bones and, despite wearing a helmet, head trauma when he crashed his road bike at high speed early Monday morning in St. George. He was treated at the scene by firefighter paramedics and rushed to Dixie Valley Regional Medical Center.

Hospital spokeswoman Terri Draper confirmed that Jones had died Wednesday. Citing privacy policies, she was unable to release further details.

However, Jones, 42, reportedly had been in critical condition and a coma since undergoing emergency surgery earlier this week.

Jones, who played for Utah 1994-96, was considered an experienced competitive bicycle racer.

Jones' death came days after the 1994 Utah football team was inducted into the Crimson Club Hall of Fame over the weekend. Jones came up for the festivities, and later let his former coach Ron McBride know how much he enjoyed it.

Word of Jones' accident spread quickly on Monday morning. McBride said he spent Monday and Tuesday at the hospital with him.

Fellow quarterback and former roommate Mike Fouts said he was "stunned" by Jones' death, and was grieving for a man he called "the best example of what Utah football is about."

"He'll always be somebody that I love and respect," he said. "If there were more Brandon Joneses in this world, it would be such a better place."

A native of Henefer, Jones graduated from North Summit High School as a prep 1A Player of the Year and then played briefly at Snow College before moving on to the U. in 1993. He started the 1995 season as quarterback for the Utes, but soon was supplanted by Fouts and ended his career in a backup role.

McBride called Jones "a great teammate" who mixed well between all locker room factions and was universally respected.

"He was a great voice in the locker room," he said. "He was a team guy from the time he walked in to the time he left, a fantastic human being. We've kept in touch continually since he graduated and left. He was always so positive."

McBride added that his former player was a bishop in his ward of the LDS Church: "He had so many more things that he could give to society."

Jones lived in the St. George area, where he worked as an operations manager for Performance Diesel Inc. He is survived by his wife, Mitzi, and their four children.

Funeral services were pending.

Friends of the Jones family have set up a GoFundMe page ( to help with medical and other expenses.

Kyle Goon contributed to this report.

Twitter: @remims