This is an archived article that was published on in 2017, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

One man is dead and two others were wounded during an early Friday morning shooting in Salt Lake City.

Police identified the victim as 51-year-old Melvin Dyer.

Police were called to 1930 S. West Temple at about 5:30 a.m. on a report of shots fired, according to Detective Richard Chipping. When officers arrived, they found Dyer dead from a gunshot wound in the chest. A man and woman, both 35, were also grazed by bullets. The shooter, Chipping said, was not at the scene.

Police later arrested 36-year-old Brody Olson, who was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on suspicion of aggravated murder, robbery and burglary. A probable cause statement said Olson broke into the home and fought the victims during a robbery. One of the victims bit Olson, the document said, and another victim hit him on the head "numerous times" with a flashlight.

Olson then allegedly fled the scene and went to a house in South Salt Lake, where others at the home called 911 to report "serious injuries to [Olson's] head and face." Olson told an acquaintance that he'd just completed a "heist," the document states.

Police who arrived at the South Salt Lake residence saw Olson drop a dark, torn hoodie, the document says. Olson matched the physical description witnesses had given to police, the document says, and had lacerations on his head and above his left eye.

Police also arrested 38-year-old Tonita Holland on suspicion of murder, they said. Holland told police she heard gunshots while waiting in a car outside the apartment, according to a charging document released Saturday. She said Olson ran to the car bloody and injured and she drove him to a house in South Salt Lake before fleeing the area, police said.

Chipping said the parties may have been arguing before shots were fired, but police are not clear on an exact motive.