This is an archived article that was published on in 2010, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Salt Lake City man died early Friday morning after he was hit by a big rig truck while riding his bike to work.

Norman Kerry Bryner II, 47, was hit just before 6 a.m. in the predawn darkness, said Utah Highway Patrol Trooper Todd Johnson.

The truck, which was not pulling a trailer at the time, had just begun making a right-hand turn onto westbound 2100 South when Bryner, also westbound, came through the intersection, Johnson said.

In the darkness, the driver apparently did not see Bryner, but he told investigators that he did feel something impact his truck. The UHP estimates Bryner and his bike were dragged underneath the truck for about 130 feet before the driver came to a stop.

"The bicyclist sustained severe injuries to the pelvic area. He was taken to Intermountain Medical Center and later died," Johnson said.

The truck's driver, a 37-year-old Layton man, was not hurt.

Bryner was the father of four sons and four daughters, ranging in age from 27 to nine, and he had two grandchildren, said his wife, Kelly Bryner.

Their eldest son, 25-year-old Norman Kerry Bryner III, is a state champion time-trial bicyclist.

The couple have raised their children in Salt Lake City and live in Sugar House.

Kelly Bryner said her husband enjoyed camping, hiking, fishing and biking and shared his love of the outdoors with his children.

"They always wanted to go with their dad and go hiking and fishing. Just being together was important," she said. "He always took time with our kids."

Norman Bryner had worked as a school bus driver for the Salt Lake City School District for the past two years. He rode his bike to work every day, and was on his way to the school bus depot at 1700 South and 700 West when he was hit, Kelly Bryner said.

Bryner was not wearing any reflective clothing and reportedly did not have reflectors or lights on his bike, Johnson said.

No citations were immediately issued, but UHP said the case had been referred to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office for possible charges.

"He was a fantastic father, friend, husband and son," Kelly Bryner said. "He was too young; he was just 47. He still had his whole life to live ... we loved him very, very much. He will be missed." —

Cyclist injured in collision with bus

A bicyclist was injured Friday when he collided with a Utah Transit Authority bus in South Salt Lake.

The man was riding on 700 East just before 5 p.m. when he collided with a bus stopped at 3310 South, according to South Salt Lake police spokesman Gary Keller.

It appears the bicyclist may have been trying to squeeze between the stopped bus and the curb when he struck one of the rear bus wheels, Keller said.

The man was taken to an area hospital in fair condition, Keller said.

Elizabeth Neff