This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2011, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Cigarettes left smoldering in a plastic, makeshift ash tray ignited a fire early Sunday that damaged two Millcreek condominium units, one extensively, authorities said.
The residents of both condominium units at the Polo Club complex at 1452 E. Foxboro Drive (3660 South) were roused by smoke detectors and safely escaped the burning homes. Fire crews responded to the fire at 4:45 a.m. and put it out within 20 minutes of the first engine's arrival, said Capt. Cliff Burningham, a Unified Fire Authority spokesman.
The fire began on the second-floor balcony of the condominium after cigarettes were "disposed of improperly" in a plastic container. Burningham said damage to the second-floor unit was estimated at $150,000, while the condo on the first floor sustained water damage and was burned only on its balcony.
While no people were injured in the blaze, Burningham said three pets, cats and ferrets were either killed or were missing.