This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2017, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
The new NBC sitcom "Great News" (8 and 8:30 p.m., Ch. 5) comes to us from the producers of "30 Rock" and "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" and shares a certain sensibility with those shows.
Katie Wendelson (Briga Heelan, "Undateable") is a harried producer on a cable news show. And her stress level shoots off the charts when her overbearing mother, (Andrea Martin, "SCTV") gets an internship at the show.
It can be a bit much at times, but there's a great supporting cast including John Michael Higgins and Nicole Richie as the news anchors and there are enough laughs to keep it moving.
(NBC is airing back-to-back episodes on Tuesday nights for the next few weeks.
Also tonight, the Utah Jazz travel to Los Angeles for Game 5 of their playoff series against the Clippers (TIME, ROOT AND CHANNEL).
of the NBA playoff series between the Utah Jazz and the L.A. Clippers, with
Elsewhere on TV ...
• "The Voice" (7 p.m., NBC/Ch. 5): Live top 12 eliminations.
• "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" (7 p.m., Fox/Ch. 13): Jake and Charles go to extremes to catch a bike thieft.
• "The Flash" (7 p.m., CW/Ch. 30): Barry travels to the future to find out Savitar's identity; the hunt for Killer Frost continues in the present.
• "Genius" (7 and 8:16 p.m., National Geographic Channel): This is Nat Geo's first scripted series, and the plan is to focus on one of history's greatest minds each season. First up Geoffrey Rush stars as Albert Einstein in this biography, based on Walter Isaacson's book "Einstein: His Life and Universe." Howard makes his television drama series directorial debut with tonight's premiere. (He's one of the show's executive producers.)
• "If Loving You is Wrong" (7 p.m., OWN): Randal questions the paternity of Alex's baby.
• "The Mick" (7:30 p.m., Fox/Ch. 13): Sabrina tells Mickey she wants plastic surgery.
• "Great News" (8 and 8:30 p.m., NBC/Ch. 5): Cable news producer Katie is horrified when her mom, Carol, gets an internship in her office; Carol worries when Katie volunteers to cover a bear on the loose.
• "Prison Break" (8 p.m., Fox/Ch. 13): T-Bag meets with Kellerman to gather more information on Michael's resurrection.
• "iZombie" (8 p.m., CW/Ch. 30): Liv consumes the brain of a murder victim who had the reputation of being an office gossip.
• "The Detour (8 and 8:30 p.m., TBS): Robin and Nate live out their action movie fantasies; the family reunites, but this time Robin makes a huge mistake. (Season finale)
• "Imaginary Mary" (8:30 p.m., ABC/Ch. 4): Ben makes a surprising confession.
• "48 Hours: NCIS" (9 p.m., CBS/Ch. 2): This six-part series (produced by CBS News) examines real-world NCIS investigations.
• "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (9 p.m., ABC/Ch. 4): Aida prepares to execute her endgame.
• "Chicago Fire" (9 p.m., NBC/Ch. 5): Casey reunites with a former colleague; Dawson and Brett serve their time in retraining.
• "Frontline" (9 p.m., PBS/Ch. 7): Journalist Paul Greenberg eats only fish for a year as he travels from Norway to Peru investigating the health of the oceans.
• "Pretty Little Liars" (9 p.m., Freeform): Emily butts heads with Addison, who may be connected to a familiar foe; Spencer turns to Detective Furey for help.
• "Famous In Love" (10 p.m., Freeform): Paige tries to tell her parents she has landed the acting role of a lifetime.
• "Face Off" (10 p.m., Syfy): The final three create animalistic kung-fu masters for an actual fight scene. (Finale)
• "Outsiders" (10 and 11 p.m. WGN): No one is safe from the wrath of the mountain. (Series finale the show has been canceled.)
• "Independent Lens" (11 p.m., PBS/Ch. 7): In "The Last Laugh," Auschwitz survivor Renee Firestone and Jewish comics and thinkers discuss whether the Holocaust should be off-limits to comedy.
• "Rebel" (11 p.m., BET): Rebel takes on a heartbreaking cold case the murder of a 17-year-old.
• "The Americans" (11 p.m., FX): A secret brings Elizabeth and Paige together.
• "JFK Declassified: Tracking Oswald" (11 p.m., History): A former CIA agent investigates the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and discovers a CIA document revealing that Lee Harvey Oswald met with Soviet officials in Mexico City. Can you believe we're still seeing this kind of thing pop up on TV?
• "Cosplay Melee" (11 p.m., Syfy): The cosplayers create an original character inspired by their favorite anime. (Finale)
• "Team Ninja Warrior" (11 p.m., USA): The competition continues in Week 2.