This is an archived article that was published on in 2011, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A pickup truck that caught fire in the drive-through lane of a 24-hour McDonald's restaurant in Sugar House early Saturday morning ignited a 2-alarm blaze that caused an estimated $1 million in damage.

Salt Lake City Fire Battalion Chief Gary McCarty said the fire started about 3:30 a.m. at the restaurant's 945 E. 2100 South location when flames and smoke began to pour from under the hood of the truck, which had just pulled up to the drive-through window. Flames quickly spread into the building as the heat broke out the glass of the drive-though window.

By the time fire crews arrived, McCarty said, the pick-up truck was fully engulfed in flames and a "heavy volume of smoke was coming from the attic of the building."

There were no injuries in the fire. Occupants of the truck were able to get out immediately and workers at the restaurant also quickly left the building.

But as for the future of the building and its workforce Saturday morning? "It is closed," McCarty said.

McCarty said it took crews 40 minutes to contain the blaze. There was significant smoke and water damage to the entire building and fire damage to nearly all of the attic space.

MCarty said a regional manager for McDonald's put the price tag for damages at $1 million, noting the restaurant would be closed indefinitely while a "significant remodel of the building" is done.

The fire that started in the engine of the truck was deemed to be a mechanical problem, McCarty said.

Twitter: @CimCity