This is an archived article that was published on in 2011, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Twelve calves were killed early Tuesday when a heater being used to keep the animals warm sparked a fire in Trenton.

Fire officials said the blaze started about 6:45 a.m. inside a barn at 1204 S. 800 East. When firefighters arrived, they reported the barn was fully engulfed in flames.

All the calves in the barn, the barn itself and several half-ton bales of hay were destroyed in the blaze. Firefighters estimated the blaze caused about $10,000 in damage.

Fire investigators said the owner was using a propane heater and something knocked it over, which sparked the deadly fire. The fire was determined to be an accident.

Twitter @sltribjanelle