This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2017, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Tonight, Fox adds a couple of game-ish shows with a couple of familiar hosts to its summer schedule.
Jamie Foxx becomes the first Grammy/Golden Globe/Oscar-winner to host a game show in "Beat Shazam" (7 p.m., Fox/Ch. 13), and the network didn't screen it for critics which is generally not a great sign. Here's is Fox's description:
"'Beat Shazam' is a new interactive game show that pits teams of two against the clock and each other as they attempt to identify the biggest hit songs of all time. In the end, the team with the most money banked will outlast the competition and go against Shazam, the world's most popular song identification app, for the chance to win a huge cash prize."
And then it's a revival of the cheesy 1983-94/1998 "Love Connection" (8 p.m., Fox/Ch. 13), in which a contestant goes on three blind dates; the people involved say nice and/or catty things about each other; and then we learn if the audience picked the same "love connection" as the contestant him/herself.
Andy Cohen is a good choice to host this dopey show, because he fairly exudes cheesiness.
Elsewhere on TV ...
• "American Ninja Warrior" (7 p.m., NBC/Ch. 5): Nine celebrities compete for charity Stephen Amell, Erika Christensen, Jeff Dye, Ashton Eaton, Nikki Glaser, Derek Hough, Natalie Morales, Nick Swisher and Mena Suvari.
• "Running Wild with Bear Grylls" (8 p.m., NBC/Ch. 5): Julia Roberts joins Bear to deliver life-saving vaccines to a remote village in Kenya.
• "Lip Sync Battle" (8 p.m., Spike): Young cast members of "Stranger Things" perform/compete.
• "The Amazing Race" (9 p.m., CBS/Ch. 2): The race continues in Seoul, South Korea.
• "Red Nose Day" (9 p.m., NBC/Ch. 5): The annual fundraiser for programs that address the needs of children and young people features comedy, music, Julia Roberts and the cast of "Love Actually" reunites. The smarmy Chris Hardwick hosts.