This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A fire damaged part of a kitchen Wednesday morning at a Logan LDS Institute building near Utah State University campus.

Logan Fire Department and other agencies responded to the kitchen fire around 9:45 a.m., and found smoke coming from the building and noticed bystanders had tried to put out the fire with extinguishers, according to a news release.

Fire crews put out the fire and smoke was cleared from the building. Those inside were evacuated and remaining classes for the day were cancelled.

The fire damaged the ceiling, cabinets and wall above the stove.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. Crews found a cardboard box had been placed on the stove, which had accidentally been turned on. No injuries were reported.

Twitter: @CimCity