This is an archived article that was published on in 2017, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Sandy • Salt Lake County Search and Rescue crews Monday afternoon called off the effort to recover the body of a 22-year-old Taylorsville man who tumbled into the runoff-swollen waters of Bell Canyon Creek.

The recovery will resume Tuesday morning, according to tweets from Unified Police Department Lt. Brian Lohrke.

Sheriff Jim Winder said that Siaosi Brown's remains were spotted by a Department of Public Safety helicopter about 8:30 a.m., a short distance downstream from where he fell Sunday evening while hiking with friends along the Bell Canyon Trail.

The sheriff said it will be a technically difficult operation that may require 20 trained workers and multiple lines.

About 2:15 p.m., Lohrke on Twitter explained crews had removed debris from around Brown, but water levels rose in the creek during the day. The recovery will resume when water recedes Tuesday.

Brown entered the creek's cold, rushing waters in the "first falls" area Sunday. Winder said two friends crossed the creek, but when Brown crossed, he fell in.

One friend tried, but failed, to rescue Brown, the sheriff said. That friend was able to exit the creek. They called 911.

The search was suspended overnight and resumed shortly after dawn. About two hours into the search Monday, the helicopter crew spotted Brown's body.

Brown is one of multiple people who have fallen and died in the creek and falls through the years, which is part of Lone Peak Wilderness Area and where signs are forbidden. Winder on Monday said education is the a way to curb the deaths.

"The wilderness we enjoy has inherent risks," he said. "Trying to modify it is unrealistic, financially and environmentally."

Heavy snowmelt, brought on by recent hot temperatures, has brought repeated warnings from public safety officials to exercise extra care when near northern Utah's brimming rivers, streams and creeks.

About 100 friends and family of Brown were gathered at the trailhead Monday morning.

Twitter: @remims