This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Police say an argument between a man and his girlfriend in Taylorsville ended with both of them dead early Saturday morning.

A woman called police about 3:30 a.m. to report her roommates, a man and his girlfriend, were fighting at a home near 3500 W. Valley Heights Drive, said Unified Police Detective Levi Hughes. When officers arrived, they found 28-year-old Alida Dalton had been shot; she later died from the injury, Hughes said.

While they were at the home, the officers heard a single gunshot nearby. They searched the area and found Zak Cabell, 30, in the playground area of Arcadia Elementary School. He had shot and killed himself, Hughes said.

Upon learning of the death on the grounds of the school, Granite School District released a statement through its Facebook page that "it appears that a student may be related to the victim in the case."

Hughes said Dalton and Cabell did not have any children together, but Dalton did have children from another relationship. Hughes said he wasn't sure whether Cabell had any children of his own.

The district did not elaborate on the possible connection it alluded to. Officials, though, assured that they do not anticipate any problems preparing the school to open Monday morning, and said that grief counselors will be available.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families impacted by this situation," the district wrote in its statement.

The roommate was not able to relate to police how the shooting in her house occurred or what the argument was about, since she had tried to stay uninvolved and walked outside, Hughes said. She called 911 at about 2:50 a.m., and police found Dalton shot in the home a few minutes laster when they responded. The three were the only people living at the residence.

"What they were fighting about — the details of that fight — we'll probably never know," Hughes said.

Citing dispatch records, Hughes said that police had not responded to domestic violence-related calls at that residence before.

There were 19 people who died in murder-suicides related to domestic violence in Utah last year, according to an annual report from the Utah Domestic Violence Council.