This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Logan man died after he was shot with a stun gun twice in one night during confrontations with Logan police and hospital officials.

In a statement released Wednesday, the Logan Police Department said the 49-year-old man was screaming and acting erratic at an unidentified location on the evening of Jan. 17. He was allegedly yelling at "Satan" and refused to follow officers' orders. He allegedly told police that he was going to get a gun and reached inside a doorway. Officers used a stun gun on him after he wouldn't put his hands up, the release states. He was then taken into custody and transported to the Logan Regional Hospital. Police say after being taken to the hospital, he calmed down enough to be interviewed by investigators, who cited him for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest and then released him at the hospital.

Police were called back to the hospital about three hours later that night after they received reports that the same man had gotten into a fight with hospital security. Police say the security officers deployed another stun gun on the man, and by the time police showed up he was in full cardiac arrest. Medical staff attempted life saving efforts but the man died soon after.

Logan Police Chief Gary Jensen said Wednesday that the Weber County Attorney's Office has taken over the investigation into the man's death, details of which were not publicly released until six days after the incident, when local media got word of it.Jensen said he decided to release information about the death after getting inquiries about it Wednesday but stressed that his department is no longer heading up the investigation. He declined to say whether the man had a history of mental illness or was under the influence of alcohol or drugs the night he died. Jensen did not release the man's name Wednesday. The Logan Herald Journal identified the man as Bruce Neil Thomson of Logan.

Twitter: @KimballBennion