This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Moab • A former Grand County sheriff's deputy pleaded guilty and was sentenced to probation Tuesday for beating up his father and assaulting a police officer — attacks that occurred after the deputy allegedly caught his wife and father in bed together last month.

Timothy "T.J." Brewer, 33, was charged in Moab's 7th District Court with class A misdemeanor counts of assault and assault against a police officer. According to court records, he entered guilty pleas to the two charges on Tuesday during his initial appearance at the courthouse.

Seventh District Judge Lyle Anderson suspended a potential two-year jail term, sentencing Brewer instead to 24 months probation and over $800 in fines. A no-contact order between Brewer and his wife and father was lifted, according to court documents.

"I understand why you would have been very angry on the night of your criminal conduct," Anderson said during Brewer's sentencing. "You understand that you can't accomplish anything with violence."

Brewer claimed he was not a violent person.

"I do apologize for my actions that night," he told the judge. "I take full responsibility for them. I'm not a violent person ... I wasn't before and I'm not now."

Brewer's attorney, Tara Isaacson, told the court that her client is trying to piece his life back together.

"These assaults and these issues took place in the context of a very painful experience for my client," she said, adding that she has received "dozens and dozens" of letters from people who said their lives have been touched by Brewer.

"This incident has just turned his life upside down," Isaacson said in court.

Brewer resigned from his position after the assault, according to sheriff's officials.

According to a Moab police report, Brewer assaulted his father, Wesley "Corky" Brewer and his wife, Logan Brewer, after he caught the two having sex in the bedroom of one of the couple's children on July 11.

Brewer's wife told police that he beat up his father "really bad." She told investigators that Brewer then left and got a pistol, which he first pointed at her but ultimately used to pistol-whip his father.

Corky Brewer was treated at a local hospital for a stab wound, a broken rib and a collapsed lung. The man's wife reported to police that her husband stabbed himself at their home after the assault.

According to the police report, Moab police were first called to the emergency room of Moab Regional Hospital, where Corky Brewer, who was at the time the Moab Fire Chief, was being treated. Corky Brewer has since resigned, according to fire officials.

Officers found Timothy Brewer arguing in the parking lot with his uncle, Curt Brewer. Timothy Brewer allegedly told the officers to go away and threatened to beat them up. Eventually, he calmed down enough to tell investigators that he allegedly caught his wife cheating on him with his father. Brewer allegedly admitted that he got angry and beat up his father and said several times that he wanted to get a gun and "finish the job."

The officers accompanied Timothy Brewer from the hospital to his home, because he wanted to check on his children who, as it happened, were no longer there. The report states that Brewer later decided to walk back to the hospital, but when Moab police Officer Steve Wiseman tried to stop him, Brewer allegedly charged the officer and hit him with his shoulder, resulting in Brewer's arrest.

Wiseman wrote in his report that Brewer also struck him with both hands, resulting in a broken molar.

Brewer was booked July 12 into the San Juan County Jail and released two days later on a court order without posting bail.

Because of a conflict of interest, the Utah County Sheriff's Office investigated the case, and the Utah Attorney General's Office prosecuted the criminal case.

Twitter: @jm_miller