This is an archived article that was published on in 2008, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Updated: 4:33 PM-There is no evidence that Muslim Sulejman Talovic's murder spree at Trolley Square Mall was motivated by his religion or terrorism, according to the Salt Lake City Police Department's final report on its investigation into the massacre released today.

In fact, investigators and those closest to Talovic ultimately were unable to find any motive for the Feb. 12, 2007 rampage by the 18-year-old Bosnian immigrant.

Why Talovic chose Trolley Square or that particular day to carry out "one of the worst incidents in the history of the city" remains unknown despite months of investigating, according to the report.

"None of the people interviewed believed the violent act committed by Sulejman Talovic could have been predicted," according to the report.

Investigators also ruled out video games as a factor in the killing spree, noting that there was no video game system in his parent's house.

Talovic, a high school dropout, used a revolver and shotgun to kill five people and injure four others. He was finally cornered by five police officers -- including one off-duty officer who had been at a Trolley Square restaurant when the shootings began -- and shot to death.

The 35-page reports offers details of Talovic's shooting spree, actions of responding officers and the detectives who searched for an explanation for the rampage. It also documents evidence recovered.

The only "indication found ... of premeditation" came during a phone call with Monika Ibrahimovic - who he considered his girlfriend - the night before the shooting, according to the report

"Talovic told Ibrahimovic that 'Tomorrow would be the happiest day of his life, but that it could only happen once,'" Ibrahimovic told investigators, according to the report. This follows closely what Ibrahimovic told The Tribune in March.

Officers fired 21 shots at Talovic, hitting him 15 times, according to the report. He died from gunshot wounds to the head, torso and upper extremeties, according to the report. Officers recovered 29 shotgun shells, apparently fired by Talovic.

The report offers little new information, a fact police Chief Chris Burbank confirmed after talking with survivors, family members of the victims and first responders Tuesday morning at U.S. Attorney Brett Tolman's downtown Salt Lake City office. Burbank gave the report to survivors and family members at the meeting.

"The family members and survivors are the real heros as we go forward," Burbank said.

Survivor Stacy Hanson, left paralyzed in the shooting, said after the meeting that it was "nice to see everyone."

"We're all healing in our own way," he said.

The parents of victim Vanessa Quinn, Ken and Sue Antrobus, met with their attorney and Tolman following the meeting. The couple filed a lawsuit to be legally recognized as victims of the shooting, a designation that would allow them to argue for a stiffer sentence for the man who sold Talovic the handgun used in the rampage.

The two sides were unable to agree to a resolution, but the Antrobuses said they appreciatiated the opportunity to talk with Tolman. They also praised how those responding to the mall shooting handled the situation.

"I've been proud of the police and the Fire Department all along," Ken Antrobus said.

The report confirms many of the details that emerged in the days and weeks following the tragedy.

It describes Talovic firing a .38-caliber handgun into Quinn's chest and then shooting her again in the back of the head. It describes mall worker Barrett Dodds yelling "shoot at me" to Talovic after he witnessed Talovic shoot Stacy Hansen for the second time.

The report also offers the perspectives of off-duty Ogden police officer Ken Hammond and four of the initial responding Salt Lake City police officers. It describes officers hearing "a shotgun blast, followed by the sound of a shotgun being racked" as Talovic fired the shotgun from his waist.

One of the first Salt Lake City police officers to respond, Sgt. Andrew Oblad, reported that he instructed Talovic to put down his weapon. Talovic responded, "F--- you," according to the report, and shot at Oblad. Oblad fired two shots, and other officers opened fired. Sgt. Josh Scharman fired three rounds into Talovic's back, and Talovic turned to him, according to the report. Scharman fired two more rounds into Talovic's front and then fired at his head, according to the report.

Detectives recovered a receipt for shotgun shells from the 2002 Mazda Talovic drove to the mall. They obtained video footage of Talovic buying shotgun shells and determined he was alone for the purchase, according to the report.

Four men pleaded guilty to various charges for their role in helping Talovic obtain the guns he used. The report does not provide details of those purchases, which have been outlined in court proceedings.

Friends of Sulejman Talovic later admitted to Tribune reporters that Talovic had showed them the guns and ammuniation in his room, but they did not tell his parents or authorities. The report does not mention this interaction.

The report described Talovic's father, Suljo Talovic, as "very helpful" during the initial investigation and his mother, Sabira Talovic, as "very upset and overcome with grief" upon hearing her son was responsible for the Trolley Square carnage earlier that day. Following the tragedy, the parents said they did not know what could motivate their son to kill people.

Reached on his cellular phone Tuesday, Suljo Talovic declined to comment about the report.

Investigators interviewed family members, co-workers, teachers and others closest to Talovic but did not come up with any explanation for the rampage, according to the report.

The report describes Talovic as a shy person without much of a social life. A supervisor told police he was nervous and acted strangely at times and "had a habit of placing his fingers in or near his mouth when speaking," according to the report. A family member told police Talovic have "no friends she was aware of," and he did not like public places.

The question has arisen about whether Talovic was mentally impaired. Investigators say post-mortem tests showed no alcohol or drugs in the teen's system -- but one of his relatives said Talovic has suffered from anxiety on occasion, and in one incident had been taken to Salt Lake Regional Hospital when his hands began shaking while at work.

Staff writer Pamela Manson contributed to this report.