Police identify victim and attacker killed at Pioneer Park

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2007, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Posted: 2:32 PM- Detectives are still trying to determine what prompted a 45-year-old man to stab two people, killing one, before brandishing a knife at an officer, who shot the man dead late Wednesday in Pioneer Park.

"We don't have a motive," said Salt Lake City police spokesman Jared Wihongi. "That's part of the ongoing investigation."

About 9:45 p.m. Stephen Atiana, 45, and a 61-year-old man had "some kind of interaction" on the park's west side, Wihongi said. Atiana stabbed the 61-year-old multiple times, Wihongi said.

That victim ran across 400 West to Iggy's restaurant where patrons called 911.

Just after that call, witnesses began calling 911 to report a man was stabbing people in the park, Wihongi said.

A police officer on patrol drove to the park. She encountered Atiana near the park's southeast corner, 400 South and 300 West.

Atiana "challenged and threatened" the officer with the knife, Wihongi said. The officer drew her sidearm and fired at the man.

Officers found the body of Christian Charles Draayer, 31, in the center of the park. He appeared to have suffered stab wounds.

"The way we're looking at it, [Atiana] probably would have stabbed someone else if this officer didn't take action," Wihongi said.

The shooting happened about seven minutes after the first 911 call, Wihongi said. The entire episode occurred as basketball fans were driving home from the Utah Jazz's preseason opener, about three blocks away.

Wihongi said it's unknown whether Ariana had a relationship to his victims or where he first encountered Draayer.

The 61-year-old man was in "very critical condition" Thursday at LDS Hospital, Wihongi said.

Wihongi declined to say how many times the officer fired and did not know how much distance was between Ariana and the officer when she fired. Police carry Tasers but are trained not to deploy them against suspects with sharp-edged weapons.

Police have not identified the officer who fired but Wihongi said she has been with the force for about eight years and has been placed on paid leave while the case is reviewed.