This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Millard County sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man suspected of car theft during a struggle at the end of a high-speed car chase.

The killed suspect was identified as Corey Kanosh, 35, of Fillmore. The second suspect, identified as 21-year-old Dana Harnes, of Millard County, initially eluded deputies, but was located and arrested at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Lindsay Mitchell said someone made a 911 call Monday about 8:30 p.m. reporting the theft of a car from the Kanosh Paiute Indian Reservation. A short time later, the deputy spotted the vehicle and attempted to pull it over, but the suspects sped away.

"The pursuit occurred over paved and rugged off-road territory," Mitchell said. "The vehicle eventually stopped at a location in the foothills east of [the town of] Kanosh and two occupants were observed fleeing."

The deputy ordered the suspects to halt and when they refused, he used a Taser to shock Corey Kanosh. However, Corey Kanosh recovered enough to fight the deputy when he attempted to handcuff him; during the ensuing fight the officer fatally shot the suspect, Mitchell said.

Noting the investigation had been turned over to the Utah County Sheriff's Office, Mitchell declined to reveal further details about the shooting, including how many times or where on his body the suspect was shot.

Corey Kanosh has made headlines before. In June 1999, he was arrested in Millard County two weeks after his escape with another inmate from the nearby Sevier County Jail. By October of that same year, he was behind bars at Utah State Prison and paroled just under six years later.

He was back with the Department of Corrections in April 2009, according to prison spokesman Steve Gehrke, and released again on March 2010. Gehrke said Corey Kanosh's sentences included time for felony burglary, attempted burglary, attempted child sexual abuse and unlawful weapons possession convictions as well as misdemeanor convictions for drug and unlawful alcohol possession.

Harnes' record includes two misdemeanor traffic offenses, one for driving on a suspended or revoked license. No further details on Harnes' arrest were released, other than he was taken into custody without further incident and booked on suspicion of evading police.

The deputy involved in the shooting was treated at a hospital for numerous injuries and released. He was placed on leave pending conclusion of the investigation.

Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Shawn Chipman said Tuesday he was just beginning the process of interviewing witnesses and could not yet offer further details on whether the shooting was accidental or in self-defense.