This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Provo man arrested for strangling his father and trying to hide his body in a food freezer had a history of mental issues, including a November 2014 incident during which he held a razor to his eventual victim's throat.

Omar Carmona, 27, was arrested Thursday after Provo police — searching his family's mobile home after Carmona's mother had reported her husband, 57-year-old Marco Carmona was missing — discovered his body stuffed into the freezer at their residence in the Leisure Village Mobile Home Park, 957 W. 100 South.

Carmona allegedly admitted to the slaying and was booked into the Utah County jail late Thursday on suspicion of first-degree felony murder, second-degree felony obstruction of justice, and misdemeanor theft charges.

He remained behind bars on Friday, being held without bail.

A probable cause statement indicates Carmona admitted to detectives that he had gotten into an argument with his father on Wednesday, "because his father did not believe him when he told his father that someone could break into the home and hurt him while he was taking a shower."

"As the two got closer, his father put his hand on the chest of Omar and threw water in his face. Omar reached around with his arm and grabbed his father around the throat. The two of them fell to the ground as Omar continued to choke his father," the statement alleges.

As his father struggled, leaving scratches on his son's chest and back, the suspect estimated he held his grip on his father's neck for about 20 minutes.

"After Omar let his grip go, his father did not move. He said he was afraid of going back to jail so he grabbed a white towel and put it around his fathers neck and tried to break his neck. He then took the body of his father and put it in deep freezer located in the living room and then plugged the freezer in," the statement adds.

Carmona then allegedly turned off his father's cellphone and hid it, used gloves and cleaning solution to remove evidence of the struggle, and took money from the victim's truck "to buy soda," the statement claims.

The next day, the suspect's mother filed a missing person's report with Provo police, leading to the search and discovery of the body in the freezer.

During the 2014 incident, court records show that police arrived on Nov. 23 on a domestic dispute call where the younger Carmona had held a razor to his father's neck during an argument.

Court records show he was initially charged with third-degree felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor unlawful detention. On June 16, 2015, 4th District Judge Fred Howard granted prosecutors' motion to dismiss the charges after Carmona had completed a course of mental health treatment.

Twitter: @remims