This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The man believed to have shot and killed himself Tuesday after fatally shooting his 8-year-old son inside their Salt Lake City apartment had a history of domestic violence.

Salt Lake City police on Wednesday identified the man as 46-year-old Moses R. Waters, while the boy was identified as Xavier Lucero-Waters.

Police believe Waters shot and killed the boy and then himself inside an apartment near 600 North Center St. (200 West) at about 12:10 p.m. Tuesday. Salt Lake City police Detective Richard Chipping said motives were still being investigated.

Court records show that in 2014, Waters had threatened suicide and attacked his then-estranged wife.

Waters was charged in 3rd District Court with first-degree felony aggravated burglary, along with third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault and domestic violence in the presence of a child.

Prosecutors alleged that on June 2, 2014, Waters had come to the Salt Lake City home of Michelle Lucero-Waters and their then-6-year-old son, threatening to kill himself.

The woman and child followed Waters outside, attempting to speak with him. As they walked near 350 South and 400 East, a female friend of the woman initially invited all three into an apartment, but asked Waters to leave a short time later when he became agitated, according to charging documents.

Waters left, but then attempted to re-enter, being foiled by a locked door. Police arrived soon thereafter, witnessing Waters' first shouting outside the apartment entrance, and then throwing a rock through the door's window to force his way inside, charges state.

Police followed Waters inside, where they found him holding a razor to his wife's throat, according to charges. Officers eventually shocked Waters with a Taser in order to take him into custody.

As part of the criminal case, a protective order was issued, barring him from contact with Lucero-Waters and the child.

Waters eventually pleaded guilty to a lesser second-degree felony count of burglary and the other two counts were dismissed. He was sentenced to three years' probation, 180 days in jail and 75 hours of community service.

In December 2014, Michelle Lucero-Waters asked for the protective order to be lifted, noting that Waters, since being released from jail, was homeless. In her motion, which was granted Dec. 23, 2014, Michelle Lucero-Waters expressed the "desire to have visits among herself, her child and defendant."

On Tuesday, SLCPD officers responded to the apartment on a report of a domestic dispute involving a gun. Police said the weapon was an "improvised firearm."

Waters was dead at the scene, and Xavier Lucero-Waters was taken to a hospital, where he died.

Police would not officially confirm whether a woman also living in the apartment was the boy's mother, Michelle Lucero-Waters. The woman was uninjured.

Family members who were at the scene on Tuesday declined to comment.

Neighbors expressed shock.

Kellsa Afton said Waters "seemed like a very caring person" while the boy was "very sweet, very shy." She said the boy was friends with two of her daughters — ages 9 and 11 — and loved video games.

Twitter: @remims