Take Herriman for instance. One week after getting shutout against Pleasant Grove, which likely will not qualify for the postseason, the Mustangs blasted then ninth-ranked American Fork with a new quarterback. It was the first quality win of the season for the defending Class 5A champions. Remember, last season Herriman found its footing late, too. Was last week's win the start of another run?
What about Corner Canyon? The Chargers lost on opening night against those same Vikings, and also blew significant leads in losses against Orem and Skyridge. Yet they beat Roy and Timpview, both on the road. Last season the Chargers upset Olympus in the first round of the playoffs as the fourth seed and nearly qualified for the semifinals if not for a fourth-quarter collapse against Highland.
Herriman (+6), Corner Canyon (+6), Fremont (+2), Olympus (+2), Highland (+2) and West Jordan (+2) all rose two or more spots.
Davis (-7), Timpview (-6), American Fork (-5), Lehi (-5) and Sky View (-2) all dropped two more spots.
Tooele, ranked No. 24, is the only newcomer to the rankings this week.
There are five ranked-ranked games in Week 9:
No. 7 Jordan at No. 1 Bingham, Thursday
No. 6 Springville at No. 17 Salem Hills, Thursday
No. 16 Sky View at No. 8 Fremont, Thursday
No. 2 East at No. 10 Highland
No. 25 Lehi at No. 11 Herriman
Complete statewide top 25
1. Bingham (8-0)
2. East (8-0)
3. Lone Peak (7-1)
4. Alta (8-0)
5. Roy (6-1)
6. Springville (8-0)
7. Jordan (6-1)
8. Fremont (7-1)
9. Olympus (7-1)
10. Highland (6-1)
11. Herriman (5-2)
12. Timpview (6-2)
13. West Jordan (6-2)
14. American Fork (5-3)
15. Skyridge (6-2)
16. Sky View (5-2)
17. Salem Hills (6-2)
18. Dixie (5-3)
19. Corner Canyon (5-3)
20. Davis (6-2)
21. Desert Hills (6-2)
22. Kearns (6-2)
23. Stansbury (7-1)
24. Tooele (7-1)
25. Lehi (5-3)
Classification power rankings:
1. Bingham (8-0) The Miners cruised against Taylorsville.
2. Lone Peak (7-1) Once again, the Knights squashed any doubt about who is king in Region 4.
3. Roy (6-1) Came from behind to beat Sky View on the road and take control of Region 1.
4. Jordan (6-1) After running past Copper Hills, the Diggers have top-ranked Bingham next.
5. Fremont (7-1) The Silver Wolves are back in the rankings with their third straight win.
1. East (8-0) Surprisingly close win against Box Elder sets up showdown against Highland.
2. Alta (8-0) Ran past Provo to continue its best start since 2003.
3. Springville (8-0) Huge showdown against Salem Hills next week.
4. Olympus (7-1) Held Murray to only two points in a rout.
5. Highland (6-1) Back in the rankings after several weeks away.
1. Dixie (5-3) The Flyers continued their tear through the classification against Snow Canyon,
2. Desert Hills (6-2) Huge bounce-back win against Pine View
3. Stansbury (7-1) The Stallions are clearly the best team in the north right now.
4. Tooele (7-1) The Buffaloes had no problem in a shutout win against Bear River.
5. Pine View (6-2) The Panthers lost against Dixie/DH, while Ridgeline lost to Stansbury/Tooele. PV gets the nod for the fifth spot for not losing both games at home.
1. Morgan (6-2) Union made it interesting, but ultimately the Trojans prevailed.
2. Juan Diego (4-3) Blitzed Carbon in a landslide win .
3. Juab (5-3) Maintained its advantage in the south with a win against North Sanpete.
4. Delta (5-3) The Rabbits need Juab to lose twice more, with only two more games remaining, because the Wasps have the head-to-head victory.
5. Grantsville (4-4) Huge test at Morgan awaits next week.
1. San Juan (7-1) Blanked North Sevier in an easy win.
2. Beaver (7-1) Sleep-walked past Grand.
3. Summit Academy (7-1) Scored 60 points against Gunnison, but allowed 40.
4. South Summit (7-1) Rebounded against Millard with a gigantic win.
5. Enterprise (7-1) Needed a fourth-quarter rally to avoid upset against South Sevier.
1. Kanab (7-1) Continued rampage through the class with a commanding win against Parowan.
2. Duchesne (6-1) Essentially wrapped up the north with win against Rich.
3. Diamond Ranch (4-2) The defending champs are getting better each week. The classification has been put on notice.
4. Layton Christian (6-2) Big late-season, non-region win against Milford.
5. Milford (4-3) With few teams in Class 1A, the Tigers remain ranked despite the loss.