Home » News
Home » News

West Valley teen released from hospital after stabbing

Published January 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Police • Investigation of stabbing, and two other crimes in the area, continues.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 13-year-old West Valley City boy was released from the hospital Friday, a day after being stabbed and beaten by a group of teens while walking home from school.

West Valley City police continued to investigate the stabbing, and two other crimes that occurred at about the same time, but no arrests had been made in the stabbing as of Friday evening.

Officers patrolled the areas around Granger High and West Lake Junior High for a few hours Friday as a precaution, and also had school detectives watch to make sure there was no retaliation, said West Valley City police Lt. Kent Stokes.

The incident happened in the area of 3200 West and 3100 South, and the stabbing victim and suspects all knew each other, Stokes said, adding that the victim and his friends were wearing red, while the suspects were wearing blue, indicating a possible gang-related clash.

Stokes said the victim had no documented gang ties.

At about 3 p.m. Thursday, a group of younger teens walking home from junior high were chased by some 17-year-olds in a black car. The older teens caught the 13-year-old boy, stabbed him once in the shoulder and neck area, and used a blunt instrument — likely a baton or pipe — to beat him up, according to police.

Two other crimes occurred within blocks of the stabbing.

One incident involved a teenager related to one of the teens involved in the stabbing, who approached family members of the wounded 13-year-old and intimidated them, police said. Initial reports indicating the teen had a gun were unfounded, Stokes said, adding that the teen was questioned by police and released.

The other incident involved an 18-year-old who tried to steal a purse from a woman. When the woman tried to call 911, Stokes said, the man took the woman's phone and broke it.

Police were following leads that the 18-year-old has ties to suspects in the stabbing, Stokes said. He was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on suspicion of robbery, assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, consumption of alcohol by a minor and criminal mischief.


Twitter: @CimCity




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus