This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

South Jordan police Friday afternoon continued to investigate why a woman's pants caught fire in a Walmart parking lot.

Police Lt. Matt Evans said the woman was in the store's parking lot Thursday evening when her pants suddenly burst into flames.

He said a 12- and 13-year-old passing by noticed the woman's distress. One of the boys took off his coat and threw it over the fire to smother it. The other boy then used his hand to pat it out.

Evans said the boys were not injured. The woman was transported to the hospital for treatment, but the extent of her injuries was not known Friday afternoon, he said.

How the blaze started was still under investigation, but Evans said there was no indication that someone else lit the woman on fire.

The Associated Press reported the woman was wearing nylons under her jeans and that the pantyhose caught fire when ash from her cigarette burned through her pants, causing serious burns. Evans said he couldn't confirm that information.

Twitter: @sltribjanelle

comments powered by Disqus