Home » News
Home » News

Carbon County Sheriff's No. 2 commander under 'criminal investigation'

Published February 2, 2012 5:04 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

South Salt Lake police are investigating the Carbon County sheriff's captain as a person of interest in connection with the vandalism of several cars at an automotive business in January.

Carbon County Sheriff James Cordova on Thursday confirmed he has placed his second-in-command — Capt. Guy Adams — on paid administrative leave pending investigations into allegations involving criminal conduct.

Cordova declined to offer specifics of the allegations against Adams, other than to say his department was conducting an internal affairs probe while a separate investigation was just beginning in South Salt Lake.

On Jan. 6, a criminal mischief call directed police to 3038 S. 250 West, according to South Salt Lake spokesman Gary Keller. He said when officers arrived, they found three vehicles had been vandalized. The cars in the parking lot belonged to customers of a business that installs vehicle equipment, Keller said.

Police collected evidence at the scene that led to Adams, he said.

"He has cooperated fully with the investigation," Keller said, noting that no charges have been screened or filed yet. Adams was interviewed by police but not booked, and Keller said the motive behind the incident is unknown at this time. Adams is the only person of interest in the case.

"We are handling this as we would any other case in South Salt Lake," Keller said.

Referencing the ongoing nature of the investigation, Keller wouldn't detail the extent of damage to the cars, or what evidence was collected at the scene that led to Adams, or what connection Adams may have had to the owners of the cars.

Depending on the dollar value of damage, criminal charges could be filed in the South Salt Lake prosecutor's office or the Salt Lake County District Attorney's office, he said.

Cordova said he placed Adams on leave Tuesday, but other than to confirm "this is a criminal investigation," he would not answer any further questions about the case until investigators complete their task.

"We're really just at the very beginning with this, and in fairness to Capt. Adams, I won't be discussing this further right now," the sheriff said.

Adams could not be reached for comment.



Twitter: @CimCity




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus