High winds fanned the flames at a Midvale house fire that caused about $100,000 in damage early Tuesday morning.
Neighbors knocking on the door helped a 19-year-old man and dog escape the house before firefighters arrived shortly before 6 a.m., said Unified Fire Capt. Cliff Burningham.
The fire started in the two-car garage on the 8000 South block of Wood Street (55 West). By the time crews arrived the home was engulfed in flames. Winds of about 30 mph pushed the flames south until they were threatening neighboring houses, though fire crews were able to protect the other structures.