Home » News
Home » News

Chemical explosion injures man at recycling facility

Published April 4, 2012 5:34 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A worker at a Salt Lake City metal recycling facility was injured in an explosion Wednesday afternoon.

The man was using a plasma torch to cut into a 55-gallon metal drum at Natural Ventures, 2904 W. 500 South. The drum contained residue of Naphtha, a flammable substance used in lighter fluid and fuel for camp stoves, according to a press statement by the Salt Lake City Fire Department.

At about 3 p.m., the drum exploded, seriously injuring the man's head, face and neck. He was not wearing a helmet or eye protection, firefighters wrote.




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus