Home » News
Home » News

Dispatcher in Powell murder-suicide reprimanded

Published April 19, 2012 6:21 am

Crime • Supervisor says errors shook the public's trust.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Washington state dispatcher who took a social worker's 911 call just before Josh Powell killed his children and himself in a house fire has been reprimanded for allowing 22 minutes to lapse before help arrived.

"The public trust has been shaken," a supervisor for dispatcher David Lovrak wrote in a reprimand letter obtained by the Tribune through a public records request. Lovrak violated four Law Enforcement Support Agency policies in his handling of the call, though he did correctly assign the call a priority that indicated an "imminent danger to life or property."

Had the outcome of the call been different, though, he may have gotten a less serious reprimand, assistant director Diana Lock wrote.

"You have undergone local and national scrutiny, have admitted your errors and have identified the ways you will correct and improve your call handling in the future," the letter reads.

The written reprimand was placed in the 18-year veteran's personnel file, joining four other rebukes including tardiness and misuse of a messaging system, most recently in 2007.

Lovrak took the 911 call on Feb. 5, after Powell locked out social worker Elizabeth Griffin-Hall, who was supposed to supervise a visit with his sons, Charlie, 7, and Braden, 5, at his rental home in Graham, Wash.

Lovrak asked Griffin-Hall seemingly unimportant questions, and failed to grasp the situation: When Griffin-Hall said she smelled gas, Lovrak assumed she was smelling the fumes of her own idling car, according to the letter.

At the end of the call, he told her deputies "have to respond to emergencies, life-threatening situations first."

Powell, under suspicion in his wife Susan Cox Powell's 2009 disappearance and in a bitter custody dispute with her parents, doused the house with gasoline and hit both boys in the head with a hatchet before he set the house on fire. All three were killed.


Twitter: @lwhitehurst




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus