Home » News
Home » News

Police make arrests in relation to Sugar House homicide

Published September 12, 2012 9:37 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Salt Lake City pursuit ended Tuesday with a crash and the apprehension of the man suspected of killing Kenyatta Winston.

The suspect, a man in his 30s, was not immediately identified since as of late Tuesday night he had not been arrested. Salt Lake City police suspect he killed Winston, 16, who was found with fatal gunshot wounds on Aug. 29 by a construction worker in a vacant lot bordered by two houses near 1120 E. Crandall Ave. (about 2900 South).

Police were searching for the suspect Tuesday night when an officer spotted him in a vehicle near 900 South and State Street, said Sgt. Shawn Josephson. The police tried to pin him in, but the man rammed an officer's car and sped away, Josephson said.

The officers chased the suspect until they reached 900 South and 1000 West, where they used a PIT maneuver to stop him. His vehicle crashed and came to a halt at the intersection, where police took him into custody.

A female was in the car with him, and both of them were taken to a local hospital with minor injuries. Police were waiting until they were released from the hospital to question them.

"At this point, we are not looking for any other suspects in the actual commission of the homicide" beyond the male suspect, Josephson said. But he encouraged people who know anything about the death to call the police, as they are always looking for more information.

Besides being suspected of homicide, the suspect's ramming of the police vehicle constitutes an aggravated assault on a police officer, Josephson said. No officers were injured, he added.

The man's apprehension was the second on Tuesday in relation to the case.

Earlier that day, police arrested Jessica Reyos, 38, on suspicion of obstruction of justice, said Salt Lake City police Detective Rick Wall. Since the investigation is ongoing, Wall could not comment further on Reyos' arrest.

Reyos was booked into Salt Lake County jail.







Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus