This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A borrowed car found with apparent blood spatter inside, a purported confession and a high-speed chase led Salt Lake City police to the man who allegedly gunned down a teenager two weeks ago.

But why Frank Reyos, 30, of Salt Lake City, allegedly killed 16-year-old Kenyatta Winston on Aug. 29 and dumped his body in a vacant Sugar House lot, near 1120 E. Crandall Ave. (about 2900 South), remains a mystery to those who knew Winston best.

Salt Lake City police announced Tuesday they had arrested Reyos — the alleged triggerman — along with two women — Brittney Montano, 21, and Jessica Reyos, 38 — both of whom allegedly helped cover up the teen's death.

In addition, police later questioned Stephon Evans, 21, and Camille Lopez, 20. Wednesday afternoon, police said Lopez turned herself in. Evans was picked up at Lopez's Salt Lake City apartment a few hours later, police said.

Police said they were also seeking Shelby Reed, 19, in connection with Winston's death.

Salt Lake City police spokesman Sgt. Shawn Josephson said the wanted trio "definitely have information" that will be helpful in the investigation. Detectives believe Reed was directly connected to Winston's death.

Police had also questioned a fourth person, Natasha Alvarado, 33. She has been sent back to prison on an unrelated parole violation and faces no charges in connection with the incident, Josephson said.

"We're not speaking to motive at this point," Josephson said. "[Frank Reyos] is the person that we believe is responsible for the homicide. We do not believe there is anyone else outstanding that is responsible for that."

Winston's uncle, Kevin Winston, said he didn't know how his nephew could have known Frank Reyos, a parolee whom he noted was nearly twice his nephew's age. But Winston said the family was grateful for the closure the arrests provide.

"I'm just very happy that they were able to catch them and get that person off the street," he said. "Get them arrested and let justice be served. It just helps us move forward."

Jail probable cause statements helped piece together some of what happened to Kenyatta Winston.

Jessica Reyos, who is Frank's sister, allegedly told police that on Aug. 26 she loaned her 2010 Dodge Nitro to a man identified in the jail documents only as "D." Kenyatta Winston was last seen alive that day, climbing into the Nitro, according to the jail documents.

When officers located Jessica Reyos' car, police said they found what was "presumptively blood spatter" inside.

A witness allegedly told police that Frank Reyos admitted he shot Kenyatta Winston then dumped his body in east Salt Lake City.

Tuesday night, police spotted the car that allegedly belongs to Montano, who is Frank Reyos' girlfriend, outside a motel near 1000 S. Main St.

But Montano spotted the officers, warned Reyos, and the two fled in a Honda, leading officers on a high-speed chase that ended when Reyos rammed a police car.

Reyos and Montano were treated at hospitals for minor injuries, then transported to the Salt Lake County jail.

Frank Reyos was booked on an outstanding parole warrant. Montano and Jessica Reyos were both arrested on suspicion of obstruction of justice.

Tribune reporter Kimball Bennion contributed to this story.

Twitter: @sltribjanelle

comments powered by Disqus