Home » News
Home » News

Two burned in gasoline fumes blast on shrimp boat

Published October 1, 2012 12:17 pm

Great Salt Lake • Spark in engine compartment ignited flash fire.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Two fishermen were burned in a flash fire Monday morning as they prepared to go out on the Great Salt Lake in search of brine shrimp.

Tooele County sheriff's Deputy Keith Borders said the two men were working inside the boat's engine compartment making unspecified repairs when the fire occurred about 6:45 a.m. They were afloat on the lake offshore from Stansbury Island at the time.

"Gas fumes had built up and one of them made a spark with a wire and it literally blew up in their faces, a big fire ball," Borders said.

A 47-year-old Tooele man suffered second- and third-degree burns to his face, hands, chest, back and legs. He was flown to University of Utah Burn Unit in Salt Lake City in serious condition. A 29-year-old man was treated at the scene for minor burns to his neck and scalp and released.

Borders said the boat itself sustained only minor damage.




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus