This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
A Perry boy remained in critical condition Wednesday at the University of Utah's Intermountain Burn Center, a week and a half after he and four other Box Elder County youths were hurt when a can of gasoline exploded.
Hospital spokeswoman Kathy Wilets confirmed there had been no change in the condition of 7-year-old Tayton Winward. The other boys treated at the Burn Center in Salt Lake City had been released earlier this month and continue their recovery at home.
Meantime, Tayton's recovery reportedly is expected to be long, difficult and expensive. A fundraiser is planned Friday night at The Peak, 1455 S. Commerce Way in Perry, to help defray growing medical costs for Tayton and the other boys burned in the Nov. 16 accident.
In all, five boys ages 7 to 10 were burned after they used a cigarette lighter too close to a gas can. One had minor injuries, but the other four were flown to the burn center.